Sign in to follow this  
VeeDub Geezer

9a / KR hybrid 2.0 16v oil temp running high? *UPDATED*

We have recently got the C back after having the head rebuilt.

we decided to go for a KR head and cams to try and squeeze a few extra horses out of it.

head went on fine but we now notice that the oil temp seems to creep right up to 120

oil over 124c is turn off and cool down time!

a mocal oil cooler will help, theres loads of topics on this but some valvers tend to run hot.

Despite what I've heard said, in my experience the oil temp gauge is pretty accurate, providing the head earth straps are in good condition and not loose!

Most 16v engines tend to run at about 100-110 oil temp when fully warmed up (10-15mins driving from cold) and should only really rise when being revved high repeatedly or sustained high speed motorway runs.

My new 2L bottom end (KR head and injection) ran a little bit warmer on both oil and water while it was bedding in, but only a degree or two.

If it's running a bit too hot it could be too lean, what are the plugs like?

i havent checked them tbh mate

all timed up ok but havent checked the exhaust gases yet.

can we get the WUR mod done to the 9a injection system to richen up the mixture?

i havent checked them tbh mate

all timed up ok but havent checked the exhaust gases yet.

can we get the WUR mod done to the 9a injection system to richen up the mixture?

there isn't a WUR on the 9A :lol:

the 9A has an electronic control unit (pressure regulator) on the side of the metering head which is controlled by the ECU, you really need a KE jet 9A re-chippped if you're running a modified head and/or cams.

i didnt think there was :lol:

looks like i will have to hunt down a chip for the C then..

last time i looked, i saw Superchips wanted nearly £400 :shock:

im not as worried as i have spoken to a trusted vw techie from back when mechanics actually knew there stuff. his opinion was, as long as the coolant is ok, oil at 120°c every so often shouldnt be a problem.

I know this is an old thread but may as well drag it up! My C has started doing this (or at least I have just noticed it happening!)

found a post yesterday sort of covering this when I was searching for posts related to the outside temp sensor and readout on the MFA, I think it's either the voltage regulator (looks a bit like a squashed flat transistor) on the back of the dash or dodgy earths.