Sign in to follow this  
KipVR

Steering Racks across the VW range

Rack Part Numbers out of my VW Parts Club book....

Polo 1H2 422 061CX £258.75

Golf 3 Gti* 1H2 422 061AX £413.43

Golf 3 not Gti* 1H2 422 061 X £258.75

Corrado VR6 1H2 422 061 AX £413.43

* also use >92 (>>1HN002449) Shaft 1H2419 952 B £107.81

So basically all the models use a very similar shaft to the Corrado one (

There is also this (retail £311.90) which has not been refurbished (ie brand new), looks prettey much identical to the Corrado rack, used on Caddy's 6K2 422 061CX, been on ebay for a while now......don't want to buy it but thought I might pop it in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-Vento-Pol ... dZViewItem

The only real difference is the gearing, from the mk2 golf 16v onwards, Corrados and mk3 GTI's and VR6's had basically the same 'quick' racks, just changing input splines as you say from about 1992, 8v mk2 GTI's and smaller engined golfs and polos have lower ratio racks.

Also worth noting that Ibiza cupras and toledos with the 16v engines have the same rack as the corrados.

I think you'll find the caddy has a lower ratio rack.

Don't know what exchange VW racks are like, not sure if they are really all new parts now, but refurbed racks from other suppliers in the UK seem to have had mixed reviews, I guess because they simply re-use any parts that are still 'within tolerance' and often just clean them and replace seals, fine for a polo or passat run-around for a year or two, but show their wear on a higher performance car.

just a quick note as weve been discussing this on ukpassats (someone put a '95 mk4 passat PAS rack on a '90 mk3 passat), that the spline on the bottom of the steering column stayed the same it appears, so if you can get the universal joint that matches the rack from a scrappers etc then the spline type can be changed.

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3932