Sign in to follow this  
Zeal

16V Endless starting problems

firstly, hi to all on the forum and all that, i'm back on after a year away from modding my corrado.(lost old sign up details)

another 16v starting issue topic (maybe someone could start listing the problems in a sticky)

basicly my 1.8 16v won't start, it turns over, theirs a spark and the fuel pump primes up as usual (engine bay smells of fuel after a long turnover) i have changed the ignition switch (gsf unfortunatly) and bypassed it with a push button (sorry if that offends anyone) although as it turns over i don't think the switch could be to blame?

besides these problems what are the "any number of problems" i keep reading about?

the car was running fine untill i parked it on my drive and changed the heater matrix. since then it hasn't started and has been sitting on my drive for two months. i just ordered coilovers, and i'm itching to drive it again anyway, especially with heat!

Any ideas? pleas help

When ever my 1800 valvers used to refuse to start, it was always one of three things:-

1) ISV jammed - Whacking it with a hammer usually freed it off and it fired up straight away. A sure sign it's on it's way out, although a thorough clean in petrol followed by a soak in WD40 will keep it going for a bit.

2) Base CO off - 16Vs run best at 2.0% (at idle), I think there's a wiki guide on how to do that?

3) 5th injector not working - Usually down to a corroded earth as it's shared with other components and where it attaches to the body, it rusts up.

Sometimes the thermotime switch can go, but it's very rare.

Check also the connections on the thermo time switch, there's 3 of them IIRC and sometimes the wire breaks off the spade.

Other than that it's been years since I owned a valver and can't remember anything else!

1) ISV jammed - Whacking it with a hammer usually freed it off and it fired up straight away. A sure sign it's on it's way out, although a thorough clean in petrol followed by a soak in WD40 will keep it going for a bit.

:lol: thats reminded me of the time you started attacking Steve's G60 idle valve with a breaker bar!!

Sometimes the thermotime switch can go, but it's very rare.

If you do require one i have a brand new one that you could buy.

Have you checked your oil and water? gotta say it sounds like what mine was doing when the headgasket had gone. Otherwise perhaps timing is out, not sure why it would be seeing as you havnt touched it but best to check all possibilities.

thanks for the quick reply's, managed to get the car started eventually after about three months, turns out it just needed a very long pull start :oops:

typical me

what is a long pull start? :?

was that serious? i pulled it behind a van basicly, and jump started it that way. just like a push start, without the pushing. :)