Sign in to follow this  
RallyRaddo

Heater Matrix Replacement

Hi Guys,

I have read through 2 pages of heater matrix threads, but no one seems to have actually given a detailed breakdown of how their jobs went when it came to removing the dash.

I read 1 thread where someone said it was possible to do the replacement with the dash in place. Who ever that was must have been a contortionist cos having looked at the Lindsay Porters manual for a Corrado (Actually, it's more like a technical comic & no use when you want to do a tricky job) the matrix is right in the middle of the dash, ooooh heck!

I saw a reference to a manual by Bentley. Don't have one of those but does anyone have one that can look & see if there's a detailed step by step guide to doing the job please?

Reason for having to replace the matrix, is no warm air at all in the car.

I have replaced the valve in the engine bay with a genuine VAG one having been told they were prone to going faulty. That made no difference. Next I cleaned the complete cooling system with stuff from Halfords & then flushed with clean water. Nice to see 18 yrs of brown water coming out, but alas, it didn't solve the problem & I still get cold air in the car.

The 2 pipes going through the bulkhead into the car, are very hot so I guess the water's going in and out, but not circulating within the matrix itself, and hence that's my reasoning for assuming the old matrix is destined for the skip.

The control lever seems to be operating correctly as when shifting from hot to cold, there is a noticeable increase in forced air and I can hear the flap opening and closing under the dash.

Would really love to get this resolved cos driving to and from work is a pain, having to wear a thick jacket, gloves & wooly hat. Not to mention the windscreen misting up all the time, LOL

Cheers for any pointers folks

Kev

Hi Kev

If the pipes are getting hot going in and out of the matrix, and your not loosing coolant anywhere, then it sounds like the controls are funked.........

Make sure your not loosing coolant. Even with my matrix with a hole in it, I was still getting hot air, but only with kepping the coolant topped up.

Check the controls first.

Dic

I'm afraid bentley isn't up to much on this either :? just shows an exploded diagram.

Have you tried flushing your matrix? (remove both feed and return pipes stick a hose pipe in there and blast some water through it!)

i have to do mine soon too not looking fwd to it. :(

I think the corrado club of canada had some good write ups on this also.

Good Luck :lol:

Thats the one............Dennis 8) is a bit of a guru over there and he's v helpful too i'd PM him if i were stuck.

Guys!

Brilliant response, thanks ever so much!!!!!

Dic, you reckon controls, even though I hear the flap opening & closing? Hmmm, think I will give a detailed look at this before I follow that excellent Corrado Club of Canada step by step guide.

I am not loosing any coolant, that I know for a fact, so fingers crossed there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Weetos, yes, I did stick a hose into the matrix piping & blasted it. Water came out clean so again, this could be a good sign towards a control problem. If you are doing yours soon, it's a doddle. On my Valver, the 2 pipes that go into the bulkhead are jubilee clips and not those horrid spring clips. When changing the valve, a good twist breaks the seal of the rubber onto the plastic. In fact it was such an easy job when I did it, I wondered if I had done it correctly. Just wish everything else was as straight forward.

Thanks again Chaps, I will let ya know how I get on

Kev

Did mine just before Xmas. The only prob with it was an initial bit of warm air that cooled off. Tested valves, ran the matrix through etc etc, Turned out that 17 'n' a half years of fluff add effectively blocked air flow through 2/3 of the matrix. Changed it and wished I'd done it about 2 years ago, well toasty now!!! I left dash in but found removing the ducting to the screen a bit of ballache but handy in allowing a bit room to manouveure. A degree of brute strength is a bonus as long as you're careful. I took the opportunity to glue in some more foam at the joints that originally had some, it all goes crumbly and not very air tight. I've still got a load of bits on the rear seat but it's toasty and warms up nice and quickly now so the rest can wait!!!

Enjoy, It'll be worth it in the end 8) :lol:

Oh, by the way. While I am on the subject, I bought one of these 12v heaters from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/200w-Plug-Ceramic-Car-Heater/dp/B000VE4L64/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200242611&sr=8-5

Thought to myself, "200w, must be as good as a small hairdryer and will be great till I resolve the heating problem".

It arrived and is a complete waste of time.

Doesn't even blow very hard and any heat that comes out is very minimal. Apart from looking monsterous in size on top of the dashboard, it's well ugly to look at and the vents don't swivel.

Save yourselves the money guys & forget buying these, if not this model anyway.

I did, on the freezing cold mornings we had leading up to Christmas, run an electrical ext from the garage and into the Corrado. Plugged in a household fan heater for 10 mins & that defrosted all the windows and gave me some heat for the 1st 5 mins of my journey. After that I relied on the aforementioned jacket, gloves & hat, LOL

Kev

I know I am not the fastest, so 10 months to get round to doing a job must be a record....

New matrix arrived yesterday from GSF. Know what I am doing this weekend.

Kev

I did this a couple of weeks ago without removing the dash. I took some pictures which may help a bit. I dont know how to link to my thread but it was called 'how big a swear box' I think. Just do an author search and good luck!

David,

Thanks mate, found it no problem.

Think I will be brave & try it with dash in place.

Got my Nephew coming up to help as well, so being a mechanic, he should have it all done by the time I have made us a cuppa! :lol:

Watch this space................

Kev

I will be travelling to work in a warm car from now on.

New matrix in without dash removal. Couple of tricky bits here and there, but nothing too serious. Started at 11am and finished in time to watch X Factor on Saturday. Had plenty tea breaks and stopped for a meal so could have finished sooner.

Also took the opportunity to remove some of the junk wiring from under the dash. Never seen a data cable in a car with an RS232 plug on one end and an RJ45 on the other. 2 way radio at one time perhaps? Who knows.

Fan blower finally gave up the ghost, so a new one from GSF is in order I think.

Sorry, completely forgot completely to take pics

Kev