Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Another problem... Leaky fuel pressure sender

Right, must be the time of year for things to go wrong. Just got home and stuck my head under the bonnet and got a whiff of petrol. Never nice :( Seems to be coming from the fuel pressure sender (see the attached ridiculously fuzzy picture - the pressure sender is damp with fuel. Nooooo).

Does anyone know if this has a replacable gasket, and whether they are prone to going/easy to replace? Thanks.

Mmmm, got a replacement seal today. Took the sender out, and there is no way a leaky seal would account for there being petrol on the brown section of the sender :? . Do these things physically fail, could the sender unit itself crack, and let a small amount of petrol through?

Yeah the oil ones leak thru the sender itself (the metal and plastic delaminate) so maybe...

Fairly dangerous tbh matey so I wouldn't drive until fixed...

Best check the condition of your petrol hoses too, as they tend to split and leak I paid £80 for the three

plus new spring hose clamps from VW when mine started spraying Optimax on the exhaust manifold :?

Best check the condition of your petrol hoses too, as they tend to split and leak I paid £80 for the three

plus new spring hose clamps from VW when mine started spraying Optimax on the exhaust manifold :?

I keep a good eye on those - I had one fail on me last year, and I replaced them. So ,fingers crossed they will be OK :) But I know what you mean - never nice to spill your hard earned petrol especially on a hot manifold....

Just had a thought - what does this switch actually do? As in, if it is not working properly, what would be affected? I'm getting some slight mpg issues at the moment and was wondering if this could be the cause :?

Its turns the fuel after run on if the pressure gets to high after a long run "I think" thats all :-)

The hose is £8 quid from vw...if you haven't replaced it.

Probably worth a new/secondhand pressure switch and copper washer too.

Iirc,it turns the fuel pump on if pressure drops below around 0.2bar or something crazy.

Neil. :)

Mmmh, I don't think from the description of what it does that it would account for my reduced mpg then :? Cheers guys.

my hose was leaky, snipped the end off and rejoined it with new jubilee. it maybe that, not the sender?

Definately not the hose flusted. Everything is dry apart from the plastic bit of the sender. In fact, when I took it off to replace the seal, I could actualy wiggle the sender slightly by gripping it at either end :shock: New one should be here tomorow.