Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

Rear Wishbone bolt fell out!

Been ignoring a clunking/knocking noise from the drivers side of my car for a few months now

and last week raced a 4x4 Cayman from the lights and was rewarded with a massive bang from

under the car so thought I really should take a look this weekend, only to find that as above

the Rear Wishbone bolt had fallen out at some point :shock:

Fortunately Tom had a spare from his 16v graveyard so am safely back on the road with no

more banging noises and lighter steering that works again too :D

Mental note STOP ignoring odd noises from under the car!! I could have been Dan Jam if that

wishbone had let go at 70 on the motorway! :-(

This is of some interest to me. I've had banging / metallic clunking from my passenger side for a long time now coupled with crap handling and i've put it down to a duff shock - but its interesting because i've only ever had this since having both wishbones changed! Will be interesting to see what is revealed when we take to my car with the spanners next weekend.

Glad you managed to nip this one in the bud though - as you say, could have been instrumental in a bad accident :|

Hey Jim,

Would suggest you have a quick look underneath if you are planning on driving it anywhere before

next weekend then as its dead easy to spot, should be a 17mm Bolt at the back of the wishbone,

you can feel it if you stick your hand under there too.

I really should have looked at it earlier! :(

This is of some interest to me. I've had banging / metallic clunking from my passenger side for a long time now coupled with crap handling and i've put it down to a duff shock - but its interesting because i've only ever had this since having both wishbones changed! Will be interesting to see what is revealed when we take to my car with the spanners next weekend.

Glad you managed to nip this one in the bud though - as you say, could have been instrumental in a bad accident :|

Is it the passenger side that you have had issues with the shock? This could have a lot to do with it.

I'd not want to drive a car with it missing as all the torque from the engine is imparted in a twisting motion on the front bolt.

It don't take more than a couple of seconds to check Jim. drive the car onto a brick and you can reach the subframe and will be able to feel the bolt, or indeed the large hole.

It was fine mate.. we had the car jacked up this weekend and all is in place as it should be. New suspension stopped the 'clonking' i'm glad to say!