Sign in to follow this  
davej

lumpy idle with new mount

ive just fitted a brand new vibra technics front engine mount which feels great when drving and pulling away, but now my slightly rough idle is more prominent.

i dont think the rear engine mounts are gone, but thiscould be a possibility i guess. It's a 2L 16v, just wondering if anyones got any tips on smothing it out?

Did you rock the engine back and forth or let it idle before tightening the mount? As the engine needs to find it most comfortable/natural position before you tighten the mount.

Wroth giving this a go if you havent done it, also worth checking the condition of your other mounts too.

most movement is usually in the front mount and most transmission of vibration is through the rear main engine mount as it sits in the rear subframe bolted under your feet basically. So tightening the front mount movement will probably cause more movement and sound from the rear mount even if it is OK a new rear mount may even make things worse as the old one is probably softer.

The front mount sits in the front frame which is in turn mounted with rubbers to the body, so there's a fair bit of insulation of the front mount itself.

thanks guys. yeah, i'm thinking i'm going to go the whole hog and go for the 2 rear mounts too. i think because the new vibra technics is fairly solid, its transferring the vibration to the rear, more softer/worn mounts. I re-torqued the bolts after a quick drive to make sure the new mount was sat right, and to be fair it feel loads better when driving. a lot more direct. the rear ones are significantly cheaper too, so at least ive done the biggie!