Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

Volt and Bar guage's

From memory these gauges have 4 connectors on the back, all labelled in German:

1) Earth

2) Volts (for the voltmeter)

3) Oil pressure - attach to the oil pressure sender

4) Illumination

Connecting 2) to the switched live on the glove box illumination has the effect of the volt gauge turning on when you turn the ignition key. I have seen 2) wired to the battery positive terminal which will give a more accurate reading but the voltmeter will be permanently on. I have seen a few cars wired this way, a good voltmeter will only draw a tiny current when not in use, way less than an alarm so current draw isn't really an issue.

Neil S

94 Flash Red 16v

Ah! thought i'd heard that one before, this is the kind of set up i was thinking of Neil so thanks very much!

Just a thought though, is it worth putting an in line fuse in to the volt wire? and what would you recomend if so?

Many thanks!

Kip.

Yeah had a good read of the WIKI bill and sounds pretty reasonable for a numpty like me! will give it a go in a week or so. cheers! :)

Hey guys, im finally getting round to fitting my gauges too after builiding them into the dashboard. Whats the best place to feel the wire through to the engine bay? I'm struggling to find a good point!! Ta

There's a grommet in the passenger footwell, lift the carpet up at the very front and you'll see it easily enough.

There's a grommet in the passenger footwell, lift the carpet up at the very front and you'll see it easily enough.

Correct - got there before me!

How wierd, just fitted mine today, bit fiddley and it took about 3 hours but i take my time and have a good look at everything as i go.

Had to remove all the lower dash bits and took the glovebox out too, just need to fit the wire to the pressure sender and all done.

They do look sexy as i have to say :D

Thanks for the reply, where is it in relation to the footwell? Ive covered my floor completely with sounddendening! I'll need to dig it out lol

Can anyone else help with another issue? I got my meters from an audi coupe as many probably have done. I know i need a new pressure sender so i can still use the build in oil pressure light as well as the dial. Can someone tell me which one i need to get as i dont know which pressure range i need to get.. is it ten bar? Also can you use the standard oil temp sender?

I can't wait to get them working!

Thanks in advance

Hi Mate, I think you need a ten bar sender as i think the Audi ones are 5 but dont quote me on that, what engine you got? if a VR6 then if you look near the expansion tank theres 2 grommet's about 4 to 6 inch below that. its easier to spot if you push it through from the engine side into the cabin and best to remove the passenger lower shelf too.

Only took 10 mins and this was the easiest bit :)

Thanks for the reply, where is it in relation to the footwell? Ive covered my floor completely with sounddendening! I'll need to dig it out lol

Can anyone else help with another issue? I got my meters from an audi coupe as many probably have done. I know i need a new pressure sender so i can still use the build in oil pressure light as well as the dial. Can someone tell me which one i need to get as i dont know which pressure range i need to get.. is it ten bar? Also can you use the standard oil temp sender?

I can't wait to get them working!

Thanks in advance

Kip's right, you need a 10 bar sender for the Corrado guage pod but it also needs to be dual pole. You retain the standard temp sender. These people sell them but sorry can't remember the thread size.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/INSTR ... index.html

As an alternative you could buy the original Audi sender that went with the guages and use a t-piece. The oil pressure sender appears to be 5 bar not 10, part number 85-D-250 000 and that has an M10x1 thread.

has anyone bought the merlin pressure senders?

if so any ideas of which 10bar sender to get and the thread size?

Not sure which type it is mate as my sender came supplied with the guages! Sorry but i'm not sure.

has anyone bought the merlin pressure senders?

if so any ideas of which 10bar sender to get and the thread size?

I bought a VDO sender using a vag part number - T11 919 081 - bought it from vagparts.com, was only £22 delivered but that was a couple of years ago - but was far cheaper than any alternatives at the time. See here for further details.