Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Help! Disaster? PAS, etc

1991 1.8 16v using 2.0 PAS setup

Hi,

Had a seized bearing on my PAS pump, so it had to be replaced which was fine, apart from 1 problem....:

8.JPG

Can you see where the PAS pump bolts on to? The darn thing snapped! Heres another pic for clarity:

7.JPG

I'm really worried about this, doesn't look very good or safe to me. So i ask to ye:

- What part is that? Any links to the correct ETKA page are welcome

- Expensive? Cost?

- Is it the same on any other VW?

- Do you have one to sell?

It looks like quite a big piece of metal, so i'm fearing the worst :(

Also, whilse bleeding the system, this happened:

3.JPG

Theres sort of a plastic washer ring which has snapped and starts coming off when you turn the wheel. Is this part still available from VW? And is it safe to undo that nut? I only ask because theres the front suspension spring loaded below, looking like it's ready to pop off in my face lol

It wasn't all bad though, I grabbed me a bargain and got some Inpros with plastic headlight covers for £50 :D Heres how they look:

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping to visit the scrappy this afternoon.

Regards,

Nick

get one of those brackets off a golf mk2 with PAS or a passat, similar thing happened to me, scrappy let me have it for two quid :)

davidwort, yet again you are my saviour! I owe you lots of beer :D - Thank you very much

I was just about to post up that I've got one of them sat on the bench.

The plastic washer thing in the other photo, do you mean the one round the outside of the metal cap? Or the rubber mount you can see underneath?

You can undo that nut and remove the to plate fine, the spring compression is held by a threaded section lower down.

The plastic washer thing in the other photo, do you mean the one round the outside of the metal cap? Or the rubber mount you can see underneath?

It's the one outside . When at the scrapyard I noticed the passat's had the same missing section - are they all like this? Anyway when i turn the wheel it gradually pings off, I've forced it back in place adn it seems to be behaving....for now :D

Also: fixed the bracket, was quite fiddly. Changed the tensioner thingy too whilst down there. However, the Corrado theory of "Once one thing gets fixed, something else breaks" still remains true, as it now misfires and backfires.....I'm guessing it could be a number of things, but I don't think it should be related to my changing of metal things? Could I have knocked anything whilst down there?

Cheers ;)