Sign in to follow this  
willg60

Power steering not working - can I remove belt?

Hi, there doesn't seem to be any power steering on my new G60, am I right in thinking there is an independent belt driving the pump? I've also got a nasty rattle coming from somewhere which I thought might be big ends, but I thought maybe it's the pump and wanted to take the belt off to see if the noise goes away as guessing the pump is knackered. Am I OK to take that belt off? Thing pinks like mad aswell. Bought a Macol oil cooler kit which is going on possibly tomorrow.

taking off the belt will stop the pump moving to make the power steering. if you turn the wheel you are in theory forcing pressure through the pump. i would of thought this wouldnt do the pump any good but dunno if it will do major damage. if its only for a couple of mins while you check something then i doubt it will do any damage but a prolonged amount of time will prolly knacker it. you can take off the power steering but ou will need alot of new bits to do it.