Sign in to follow this  
Mystic Rado

VAG_COM - full version or shareware?

Just installed VAG-COM using a Macbook with Boot Camp, cheapo e-Bay connector and the shareware version of the programme. I'm wondering if there's any point in getting the full-on paid for package with genuine dongle from Ross Tech. I'm mostly interested in using it to diagnose faulty components not as a sort of entertainment device, and if I read things right, the shareware version still reads all the fault codes, but doesn't tell you what they all relate to, which means looking them up.

What additional functions does the full-on paid for version have and how useful are they on a car with a mostly standard motor? I know bits of this have been answered before in part, but not in terms fully comprehensible to a computer moron like myself...

The Corrado only has very basic OBD diagnostics (and pretty much all of this can be read with the shareware version but as you say, limited fault code reading), but I'd still go for the full product. Ewe Ross of Ross Tech has put so much effort into making VAG-COM a really good product that supports every new feature that VAG put into a car.

I bought mine about 6 years ago and it's paid for itself many times over but I also have a Golf IV so that needs the extra features of the full version.

Well worth every penny :)

The shareware version doesn't let you *set* anything, basically. It'll still do all the basics in terms of assisting diagnosis but if you have to reset your ECU you won't be able to put the adaptation settings back to right unless you have the full version.

Anyway, it's only $99 to register so that's less than the price of two cups of starbucks finest columbian tar..

The shareware version doesn't let you *set* anything, basically. It'll still do all the basics in terms of assisting diagnosis but if you have to reset your ECU you won't be able to put the adaptation settings back to right unless you have the full version.

Anyway, it's only $99 to register so that's less than the price of two cups of starbucks finest columbian tar..

So I can register the software I've got with the 'dumb' cable off eBay and activate the adaptation settings using my existing cable? Have I got that right? Sorry if that's a daft question :thumb right:

Chances of me ever owning a modern VW are pretty slim to be honest, after the Mark 2 I think of the 'rado as being a state of the art motor and, to be honest, every time I drive a 21st Century car I'm woefully underwhelmed, so compatability with later VAG cars isn't really a significant issue for me.

So I can register the software I've got with the 'dumb' cable off eBay and activate the adaptation settings using my existing cable? Have I got that right? Sorry if that's a daft question :thumb right:

Yes. The only drawback with this is that if you change laptops/reinstall the OS you'll have to re-register it. (But they don't charge for that, it's just hassle.)

The genuine Ross-Tech cables have a built-in dongle that enables the full features of the software, so you can use the cable on any computer anytime.

Yes. The only drawback with this is that if you change laptops/reinstall the OS you'll have to re-register it. (But they don't charge for that, it's just hassle.)

The genuine Ross-Tech cables have a built-in dongle that enables the full features of the software, so you can use the cable on any computer anytime.[/quote:1e40p8ya]

OK, thanks for that, fella - did some more background reading on the Ross Tech site and I think it makes sense to stick with the cheapo cable and register the software, so that's what I'll do.