Sign in to follow this  
dublife

another 16v starting issue

ive had my corrado for almost a month now and i had the timing belt changed on friday and since then ive problems with the car not starting. its trying to turn over and fuel is getting through but the car is not starting. it push starts with ease and once started it runs perfectly. occasionally it will start first time from cold, but mostly refuses to start at all.

can somebody please help?

If it starts off a bump start i should be 85% certain its an ignition switch problem.....basically a push switch thats on the end of the ignition barrel.

around £20 from VW, and only buy them from VW as the GSF ones are cack, there's a guide in the forums knowledge base.

No, no other common fault. If its starting of a bump and running fine it must be an ignition switch fault,, or the cabling which is unlikely i cant think of anything else it could be.

my ignition barrel went on my 16v awhile ago, until i had time to properly sort it out i unpluged the single pin starter motor plug and ran a 4mm wire from the battery positive straight to the starter motor, that will start it fine, obviously have the ignition on and dont leave it in gear!!! :)

my ignition barrel went on my 16v awhile ago, until i had time to properly sort it out i unpluged the single pin starter motor plug and ran a 4mm wire from the battery positive straight to the starter motor, that will start it fine, obviously have the ignition on and dont leave it in gear!!! :)

Or you can do what i did ......use a long bladed rubber handle screwdriver to short across the starter motor terminals with the ignition switched on.

Watch out for the fireworks though.

mechanic had a closer look today and said theres no spark at the coil when turning the key...do you guys still think its an ignition switch?

If its a late valver then it could have a factory immobiliser, in that case the car would start then instantly die. or maybe a key based aftermarket one??.....

It must be somthing like that as like you said it will start of a bump...fook knows

mechanic had a closer look today and said theres no spark at the coil when turning the key...do you guys still think its an ignition switch?

did you try what i said? that will tell you if its the ignition switch. if and when the car turns over and starts to run, take the wire off of the starter motor pin and the battery, open up the throttle if you have to too.

if the car is starting off of a bump start then its more than likely the ignition switch.

chris.

Alright all, just bought a 2.0 16v, having a very similar problem, had it not start on me once already, and as the car was new to me just callaed the AA out, he seemed to think it was a MAF or fule pump problem.... but didnt sound quite right to me for the symptoms... She runs fine and starts fine once warm, but it's the early morning starts causing problems at the moment! Fingers crossed, not let me down again ... yet! But by the sounds of things this could be a good place to start. I'm gonna do a few service bits and pieces over the weekend, oil change, plugs, air, oil and fuel filters, and see what she's saying, but she's def not 100% at the moment :(

Not sure if it's related now (though it was before) but does seem to be running rich, even on a 90 mile motorway run only had 26/27 MPG registering on the MAF...?! My mk2 golf valver i had previously would return (well allegedly any way) upto 40MPG on similar runs!

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Valver MPGs are often talked about and the general consensus is that they are rubbish for fuel economy. Also the screen readout may not be very accurate and shouldn't be taken literally

ok its turns out the fuel pump is pumping fuel as it should and the spark is there too but the car just wont start unless i spray carb cleaner into the inlet! wats up now!?

Valver MPGs are often talked about and the general consensus is that they are rubbish for fuel economy. Also the screen readout may not be very accurate and shouldn't be taken literally

Obviously, but this is the second tank and seems to be averaging about 20 mpg, where my mk2 vavler did more like 30, which is quite a difference considering they are almost the same engine! got a 93 k jet 2.0, and def over fuelling, can smell the unburnt petrol through the exhaust. Noticed a split in the large diameter hose comin off the top of the presure chamber/regulator assembly on top of the airbox, which caused me greef on the golf, so i think it's my first fix! lol.