Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Clonk when blipping the throttle

I only just recently I have noticed that my car randomly clonks when I blip the throttle. Sometimes it sounds like a bang. It tends to happen when the car is hot. The first time I noticed it was when I put the car in reverse and I heard a loud clonk/bang I intially thought I reversed into something but the noise was obviously coming from the car.

When I had my car up on ramps a couple of months ago the mechanic noticed that the gearbox mount was seeping out a thick glooey like substance. But i'm not sure this is the problem because the car does it when it isn't in gear...

Would an exhaust backfire cause a sound like this?

Suggestions please!

Edit: the car is a VR6

Its an engine noise yes? Not suspension/wishbones? I had a loud banging noise recently on my G60 and it turned out

that the rear wishbone bolt had fallen out :shock: not good!!

I'd definitely change the gearbox mount. if it's the rear one, use a mk2 tdi unit, it's cheaper and more solid. Only £15 from GSF and quick to fit.

The engine and gearbox can still move a lot when blipping the throttle, especially on shoddy mounts.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

New gearbox mounts and engine mounts are definately gonna get replaced this year along with a magnex exhaust. As far as I know the mounts and exhaust are originals and the car has covered 131k so it's probably due a change.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to replace all the mounts, exhaust and bushes at Stealh?