Sign in to follow this  
madbaz

head gasket gone i think

ha thermostat leakin fixed that. now striaght after my heater matrix blow. can the heater matrix be easly by passed. wot would be a good price for head to be fixed. its a vr6

Hello!

Matrix is very easy to bypass. Just detach the two rubber hoses going into the firewall (feed and return to heather matrix). and fit a 'u' shaped piece of copper pipe to direct the coolant from the feed pipe back down the return pipe before it reaches the matrix.

cheers mate bypass sounds easy. i have been told to change the head gasket is a big job ie engine and gear box out is that really true

you dont need to take engine/gearbox out at all :? i would say to make it easier take the bumper/slam panel off, just so your not leaning over all the time.

whereabouts are you though?

thats cool then. im from cornwall ive had the car about 3 years first real problem ive had with it. think i mite pay my first vist to rk

Hi

I know this sounds daft :o but if the thermostat went, then the matrix, why do you think head has gone ? Has the expansion tank cap been changed ?

I have a complete head gasket set, inc stem seals etc and new head bolts for 50 bucks if your doing the head. All still new and wrapped.

Dic

is this a g60?

just doing mine at the moment the worse part is the exhaust manifold studs TBH with correct tools i'd say this can be done in 10 hrs easy (apart from getting it skimmed).