Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Coolant

I'm hopefully picking up my VR on Saturday, and I have read somewhere on this forum that the coolant should be filled from the top hose of the radiator, (I think). Is this correct?

Is it just a case of removing the hose and filling? How much should you put in? Is it best to drain all the old stuff out first? How easy is it to drain?

I like asking questions!

Yeah drain all the old crud out first. There's a drain screw on the long plastic pipe that goes along the front of the block, it's above and to the left of the oil filter housing, about the size of a new 10p.

Unscrew that and pull the bottom rad hose off. Flush through with a hose from the expansion tank until the water comes out clear.

Refit drain bung, refit bottom hose, pull off top hose.

Stick a bottle of G12+ in through the top hose, fill the empty bottle with water and repeat (You're aiming for a 60/40 mix water to coolant). Keep doing this until you see fluid appear in the exansion tank (lid off). Now stick the hose back on. Top up to minimum. Take it out for a 15 min drive. Top up in the morning. Done.

Kev

Kev, I had my rad replaced at the weekend, and I'm pretty sure that the garage that did it would of filled the collant via the expansion tank. How can I check if there are any air locks, or will I have to drain the system completely and do it again? The car doesn't overheat at all, and the water had to be topped up the next morning, so it must of used a bit on the drive home.

If you've got an airlock, you'll get bubbling and hissing noises from the expansion tank and some coolant will be forced out too, spraying the engine bay. The engine will also overheat. Sounds like you're OK. A top up the next morning is perfectly normal but it shouldn't go down anymore thereafter.

I think you're OK mate :lol:

Just keep an eye on the temp and level for the next few days.

Kev