Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

KR 16v not starting (done search) LONG POST

Aha, cool cheers.

We couldn't have done that last time as we didn't have one of those stupid thin sockets which fits down the tapered spark holes in a KR head.

But will see if we can find one to take up next time.

i had a starting problem with my 1.8 16v recently, after trying everything, turned out it just needed a very long pull start, it took a couple of spins round the block to get it running smoothly again. revs were all over the place at first (going down under excelleration)

Cheers zeal, will bear that in mind!

So far possible problems are:

no petrol (obvious)

ISV shot,

wiring might need looking at,

weak spark - checked earths, could be ignition switch,

probably a couple more things i can't remember...

Anyone around stafford on saturday, drop me a pm! :lol:

I don't suppose there are any engine bay pictures of where all of the main earth straps should be on a valver is there?

from mine? No extra pics yet.

I remember wirebrushing and regreasing the following though:

Ignition coil to cylinder head ribbon strap earth,

battery earth just next to washer bottle,

earth point next to distributor (on the corner of the head)

all of them were very corroded, and probably weren't helping but the same symptoms persisted after this.

EXTREME UPDATE ATTACK!!

So, my new ISV and cold start valve came today plus the WUR i've had all along, so I'm hoping to do the following when I go back up tomorrow:

Put petrol in via Mr. Jerry Can,

Stick ISV on,

Stick CSV on,

Stick WUR on (maybe),

Check wiring again - continuity tests with Multi-Meter (All - is it worth leaving that LED plugged into the ISV connector and then swapping around all the 1-pin connectors until I find one which gives a continuous 12v+ signal to the ISV connecter, as opposed to the tiny little pulse?)

Swap ignition switch with Prodigal's G60 (cheers bro :thumb right: )

Check head to cam timing via TDC measurement through spark plug hole.

Compression test using gunson after taking spark plugs out.

If anyone can think of anything else please feel free to add it here, as I'm looking for pretty much a ticklist of stuff to do tomorrow.

Want to drive it home! :D

Sorry to resurrect this bad boy, but i'm having some trubs locating a part on vagcat.

Basically, one of the single-pin switches which I had sooo much fun rewiring has snapped off...but the vagcat picture is of an 8v and a lot of the locations of the switches seem different.

Basically, I'm on this page:

OIL PRESSURE SWITCH / THERMAL SWITCH / TEMPERATURE SENDER / SWITCH FOR REVERSING LIGHT / / 4 cylinder

And I need to get the lower-left 1-pin connector, it has a red-green striped wire going to it...anyone know which part number it is on this diagram? I'm thinking it could be one of the Number 8s...?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers.

Can't get onto VAG CAT, but my etka is showing me a load of sensors with the part no. 049 919 501 Which I guess is them, I think they're all the same unit, the three water temp senders on the end of the head and the one for the oil on the back of the head.

Think Goldie bought one for his golf a little while back, so he might remember the no.

While you're waiting to find out the part code, why not rob your spare KR for that sensor? It may even have a partcode stamped on the body. :wink:

fraid not bro, spare engine is senseles in this particular area!

bump for someone to tell me what the red-green is/does.

bump for someone to tell me what the red-green is/does.

Hi

It is is used by the Control unit for the ISV.

ohhhhh, so THAT's why since the pin snapped on it the car is trying to idle at 5-700rpm?

Awesome, cheers Matt! Do you know which part it would be on that diagram link above? Is it one of the thermotime switches (a Number 8 part on the vagcat diagram)?

Can't get onto VAG CAT, but my etka is showing me a load of sensors with the part no. 049 919 501 Which I guess is them, I think they're all the same unit, the three water temp senders on the end of the head and the one for the oil on the back of the head.

Think Goldie bought one for his golf a little while back, so he might remember the no.

Cheers toadie, that is exactly the right part on VagCat!

Will be popping up to see Dav tomorrow then!

Ok, I've recovered from my financial Pwnage...

guess how much that 1-pin thermotime switch was???

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Way to blow the surprise dude.

Dave wasn't even there, it was a bald guy named Gary (pwned!) and the only one in stock was at Iffley Road...major parts search!

:lol: Like I said, it's not like I slipped him a fiver...

Did you get any discount? Gary is not Dave, if you catch my drift.

Still, that's mucho dinero for a single sensor :roll:

I don't catch your drift to be honest :? and I don't think Dave properly knows me yet anyways.

No I didn't get any discount, but then again I am not entitled to any discount! Plus the part was actually bought from Iffley Road.

Just saying Dave is a great guy and will often go out of his way to help you out, Gary less so, in my experience. :wink:

Iffley and Kidlington both give 'GTi Club' discount if requested, and I don't think they've ever asked to see my CCGB card. Do you have one bro?

Nope, not yet.

Last time I went and looked it was a form you have to print out and then post off....which is a lot of hassle.