Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Strange squeaking noise

Got a bit of a strange problem, after replacing all my suspension, brakes, wishbones, bushes all round i have developed a metallic squeaking noise from the front passenger side.

If you look in this pic i undid the two bumper bolts and the middle bolt was not attached to anything :shock: i had to have the engine supported by a trolley jack. i know everyone says not to undo that one and i never have, i think this is making the metallic rubbing noise when ever i pull away.

f_IMG0242m_6fb75aa.jpg

Can anyone explain what this actually attaches to and why it would be loose?

Can anyone post an ETKA pic of what there is around this part of the car that might have failed?

The car is a 92 G60

Cheers

Beavisjem

Yeah that middle one is what holds the crossmember itself on - you were lucky you did it right and supported the engine while removing the bumper!

It's most likely broken, maybe as a result of a soggy front mount etc as the crossmember flexes, you need to under the top nut on the front mount and unhook the PAS pipe and maybe remove the brake air ducts to remove but it's fairly simple...

Then it will be a case of trying to remove the broken bolt and re-thread - maybe also a good time to change the 4 crossmember bushes and front mount while it's out too!

Cheers for the reply

OK just wondering what that middle bolt attaches to? Does it attach the plate with the crossmember bushes on?

Is it easy to get to the top nut, don;t want to do undoing stuff and the engine falling out :shock:

Cheers

Beavisjem