Sign in to follow this  
edd

just broken down - coil. RAC advice

Thoroughly pi55ed off

Having just broken down in the pouring rain in cheltenham the RAC have done me a goodun.

Car wouldn't start would turn over but not fire.

Friendly RAC guy diagnosed coil. He had one in the van that he thought was the correct one, we put this on and the car then started.

having now driven home down the M5 the car is runnning really badly. Lots of missfiring etc have check the ht leads etc and they are all pushed on well.

The part number for the ignition coil put on is: FuelParts ingnition coil CU1071 at a whopping cost of 85 quid (available for 40 on there website)

The coil i should have from the Fuel parts online catalogue is CU1074. I have found the coil i have been given down under the 4 cylinder section.

Is this likely to be the cause of the missing (i would imagine so as all was fine before) and where do you think i stand with regards to the part i have just had to buy at a significantly overpriced cost.

im wet skint and rather annoyed now

Edd

right checked part numbers again cu1071 definatley for a four cylinder engine.

The thing is the only site i come across with the part number cu1074 which is the part number i believe i require if im supplied the necessary by the RAC (they seem to use a company called FuelParts) is quoted as being £300 and there is no way im paying that when the equivalent part from GSF is around £70.

Can i get confirmation off anyone that an ignition coil for a four cylinder is not appropriate for the VR6

Mine is a dizzy model by the way

i just want to know my stuff for when the RAC chap comes back in the morning, as i'm going for a refund from them.

thanks

Edd