Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Junior

VR6 and its weird noises!

Hi there! Well my VR6 has safely arrived here in sunny Spain. L reg but only 80k km, its just bliss. Maybe an automatic but its just superb. OK, something we all love, the dreaded intermittent fault. Since yesterday about 60% of the time (although its getting worse...) when i stop the car and put it into reverse i get a noise from (i think) the passenger side (LHD) back wheel which i can only describe as the sort of noise that Chewbacca used to make in Star Wars (!!). If i accelerate through the noise disappears, but its really is quite loud and is puzzling me! Any advice much appreciated, maybe wheel bearing, maybe grabbing caliper....off for a drive in the hills in the best car VW have ever made. Regards, The Diesel junior

Yeah that'll be a caliper.

Mine does the same in reverse too, a loud Chewbacca noise as you say :lol:

Brake pads move in their caliper when braking in reverse. Sometimes the change of position can cause that strange vibration and noise. Mine's done it for years and has never given me cause for concern :-)

2 weeks on......this is beginning to bug me now especially as the rest of the car is tops! Is there any kind of remedy before i head to VW in (ahem) Benidorm, open my wallet & say help yourself amigos................copper grease any help on back of the pads...?? :( :(