Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

Recon Steering-rack knackered

I fitted a brand new recondisioned steering-rack from gsf about a year and half ago and its broke already , I was running the green power steering( M6162 FEBI HYDRAULIC FLUID ) which everyone seams to swear by even the guy in the shop who has a rado said he never used anything but the green stuff . I was lucky enough to have a spare rado which i use for parts and had previously removed the enguine so taking the rack off was easy enough this is where doubt has come into my mind the rack had ATF red fluid in and to my knowledge has never been changed , so why did my recon rack brake so quickly bad workmanship or the fact that i have 17s on my rado . So ive put on the other rack off my donar car and ime running FEBI fluid in at at the moment ime gunna run it for a week and flush it out .Anyone had similar problems or could you guys say what colour cap you have on your power steering filler bottle and what fluid you are using, I have a red cap and it says atf fluid any help please ..........

You didn't say in what way your recon rack died..? Fluid leak? Power assist stopped working? It seized?

The best way i could describe it was like a clonking knocking noise , there was no fluid leak and the assist was still grafting it just sounded painfull , and when i compared the movement of both the racks there was a noticable difference you have to realy force the recon rack to move , it was like there was something broken inside it but nothing visable .

Probably a broken tooth inside, the recon ones are just checked for a certain tollerence and new seals are put in... some will last years some will be a false ecomony :(

That Febi fluid is identical to the VW stuff as far as I can see - the VAG stuff is slightly cheaper tho after a bit of discount so tend to stick with it...

AFAIK it was only pre 89 VW racks that used ATF fluid, although bizarrely the 1.8 16v Corrados use the old mk2 fluid reservoir which actually has a red cap and ATF marked on it yet they weren't filled with ATF from the factory, parts bin raid I think.

The green LHM type stuff is basically Citroen hydraulic suspension fluid and I've never had any trouble running the FEBI stuff for 8 years with a brand new pump and the original rack.

That's another recon rack to add to the list that have only lasted a short time though.