Sign in to follow this  
Chris

brake master cylinder question

right, so ive ditched my abs system from my rado vr conversion. i just want to run copper brake lines from the master cylinder to each of the calipers.

my question is,

there are only 2 outlets on the vr6 master cylinder, im going to run the lines like some of the old golfs etc and use a couple of T pieces in the lines to seperate them

which outlet controls what? how should it be set up?

i.e.

should i use the outlet closest to the bulk head to control the front brakes and the one closest to the front of the car to control the rear brakes

or......

should i use the one closest to the bulk head to control the drivers side brakes and the one furthest away to control the passenger side brakes

etc etc you get the idea.

i was going to go with the first one but thought i better ask incase ive missed something

incase or before anyone comments on me removing the abs system please dont :)

cheers,

chris

I wont ask about the removal of the ABS, but how are you going to MOT it? If the car was built with it, it must have it, or so I thought...

I wont ask about the removal of the ABS, but how are you going to MOT it? If the car was built with it, it must have it, or so I thought...

its doesnt need abs for the mot. it was one of the first questions i ask my local garages before i started this conversion. as long as it stops promtly and safely its all good. mk2 golf vr's usually run without the abs unit and they get through mot's fine, i know mk2's dont come with vr's as standard but its the same engine conversion.

i wont be ragging the nuts off this car or driving it dangerously so i should be ok without the abs option, ill really only be driving it in the summer, its a weekend car.

So it's a MK2 Golf??

You just need a non ABS MC (22.2mm) and the 9" servo without the BPPS

no its a rado, i was just using the mk2 golf as an example.

so you reckon this would be the best option? the non ABS MC... can i just use my vr servo?? i can remember off the top of my head the size of the vr6 MC. if there is a big size difference between the two, wont it make a considerable difference? im open to all suggestions on this one as im still up in the air about it.

im sure the circuits should be split diagonally, so one output has front right/rear left, and vice versa.

indeed you are correct, i just checked my mates mk2 jetta, they are set up diagonally. so that bits sorted now all i need to know is the vr servo im using ok, the one with the 2 pin electrical socket in it. i cant see why it wouldnt be but i better ask incase, i was just going to leave it blank and cap it off (the 2 pin socket i mean)