Sign in to follow this  
sssmk1

1.8 16v cutting out and not starting just relays clicking

Hi, i have tried the search but cant really find the same problem im having..... so would appriciate any help you guys can give.

Bought a corrado few weeks ago and it has been running fine the only problem was the starter trying to start the car whilst it is running, this was happening everytime i would change gear and accelerate, it would only kick into the flywheel for a second then release. (has resulted in worn cog on starter) Anyway i changed the alternator for a second hand one(thinking it was cutting out) but it still had the same problem, i then had a look at the wiring to the starter motor and it looked like a very bodged up job to where someone has fitted an immobiliser! i disconected the immobiliser wiring and since then the starter had not cut in at all.....

After a week of driving it with no problem, yesterday i was driving and the car splutters and comes to a stop, then i tried starting it and all i get is what sounds like all of the relays clicking constantly! the fuel pump primes on ignition just fine tho. i left it standing for about half an hour then came back to it and it started up with bit of a struggle tho. i drove it 5mins up the road and it did the same thing again it just cut out and would not start! this time even leaving it over night it did not start. so i put the jump leads on it in the morning and it fired up just fine and was running for a good 40mins without cutting out!

Got in it this morning drove for about 10mins and guess what it happen again!!! it wont start its just clicking!

Also when i was having the problem with starter kicking in whilst driving, it would blow the headlight and fuel pump fuse on long journeys.... as the starter would dim the lights and stereo everytime it kicked in!

Sorry for the long post, im just very fed up with it as i dont have a clue whats causing it, this is my first corrado so dont know these cars very well... Anyone have clue whats happening to my car?

Thanks for reading

Sounds like the wiring is shot to hell.

Never heard of an immob being wired directly to a starter motor, only into the ignition circuits behind the dash.

Have you taken the starter motor off and examined it?

have you checked any of the voltages and currents through the wiring? Stalling could be caused by either the immob cutting in or maybe faulty OEM wiring that's just corroded.

My loom looks like a rabid pig has mauled it. :(

Yes i took the wiring starter off and the teeth were worn just on the tip tho... its a brand new starter. well i assumed it was the immobiliser, There was two black wires in one spade connector which were connected to the "thinner" red starter wire. after removing the two black wires it has stopped the starter kicking in whilst driving.... the black wires were not factory fitted as by looking at how they were connected. I hope the wiring is not shot as it seems like a big job replacing it! i was also thinking could it be a loose earth or crap connection seeing as when i put the jump leads on it, it fired up fine?

Cheers

iirc the starter takes its earth from the gearbox? should be a thick black wire anchoring somewhere on the top there.

wiring isn't a huge job, there's just so much of it but everything has it's own connector on the fusebox.

Once you lay it out it's not so bad, but let's hope you don't have to get that far!

where you based?

Hey mate, the earth cables were all fine,

i changed the alternator on it yesterday and since then all is fine, looks like the replacement alterantor i had put on few weeks back was no good....

Thank you very much for your help, hopefully everything should be fine now.

Hey mate, the earth cables were all fine,

i changed the alternator on it yesterday and since then all is fine, looks like the replacement alterantor i had put on few weeks back was no good....

Thank you very much for your help, hopefully everything should be fine now.

well done mate.Good luck with the new purchase.

Hi,

Along the same lines as this, my 16v gave me a burst of smoke from the dash the other day as i pulled up. Now when going to start it the starter motor just stays on all the time even when the ignition is just on. The alarm (a toad one) has stopped beeping now when turned on or off.

I'm thinking the immobiliser has fried itself (from reading these posts) but any other info would be appreciated!

Dont suppose anyone in the plymouth area has a spare starter motor theyd like to flog me cheaply!! :-)