Sign in to follow this  
blue95

How do you know when your CV joint is FUBAR??

Whilst the cars apart I thought I would inspect my CVs, also needed to remove the inners to trasnfer to the syncro shafts.

Long story short, the drivers side inner CV was fooked :(, the heat must have got to it and churned the grease into butter, seems like someone had repalced the boot at some time as well. Basically after removing the end clip the whole thing fell apart :(

Morale of the story, once I have my new CVs on, think I will start checking the grease has not dried out etc, every few years, will be cheaper and less messy that repalcing the inner CV.

Also with regards to GSF CVs:

43937K CV JOINT KIT-INNER LH CO 9/88 > 42.50

43938K CV JOINT KIT-INNER RH CO 9/88 > 45.00

Which of the above is the drivers side???

Cheers

hmmmm....I'd say that the second one is the drivers side. RHD car and all that :wink:

be VERY careful when ordering CV joints from GSF, I once ordered a 1.8 8v inner CV for my Mk2 Jetta, and they gave me a piddly small one, must have been off a 1 litre of something!

So I think they're useless for CV joints.

2p.

The joints they sell are really poor also - the GKN boxed ones are ok but still not as good as the VAG ones - clear difference in quality of you sit the 2 side by side...

There are several chassis changes on the Corrado so you'll also be lucky to get the correct one...

I think I have a VAG one somewhere which is RH for all 16V but only the very early G60's if needed.

Also some of the boots / clips have now been superceded to the plastic MKV parts - basically will last forever!

The joints they sell are really poor also - the GKN boxed ones are ok but still not as good as the VAG ones - clear difference in quality of you sit the 2 side by side...

There are several chassis changes on the Corrado so you'll also be lucky to get the correct one...

I think I have a VAG one somewhere which is RH for all 16V but only the very early G60's if needed.

Also some of the boots / clips have now been superceded to the plastic MKV parts - basically will last forever!

MMMmm intresting

This is what is listed by VW:

22 191498103CX 191498103CX constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease left inner left inner PG,KR,ABV, PG, KR, ABV, 2E,ADY,9A 2E, ADY, 9A

(22) 357498103 X 357498103 X constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease right inner right inner KR

(22) 357498103 X 357498103 X constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease right inner right inner

F 50-K-006 793 F-50 K-006 793 PG,9A,ABV, PG, 9A, ABV, 2E,ADY,KR 2E, ADY, KR

(22) 321498103CX 321498103CX constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease constant velocity joint with boot, attachment parts and grease right inner right inner

F 50-K-006 794 F-50 K-006 794 PG,9A,ABV, PG, 9A, ABV, 2E,ADY,KR; 2E, ADY, KR;

Seems like its the same part for all models excpet the right inner on the KR??? although part numbers are the same ????

Does anyone know how much VW sell there CVs for?

Supercharged - what part number is your inner CV?

Cheers

Ah s**t sorry dude, it's an outer that I have spare...

LOL Sods law! No probs

Rung VW - Part is on back order - Jokers.....Just gong to grab a GSF one and use the original boot as that looks like it has been replaced using OEM rubber at some point. Should be fun trying to get the bugger back on. Never have I got so covered in grease (OOooooo eerrrr) when working on the car as I have fannying arround with the CVs LOL

Supercharged, I may have that of you as soon as I figure out which is clicking...

No worries Jon, let me know

for ref it's 191498099EX

Blue95 how much was the CV joint from VAG? Mine has started to clank.

I wrote it down somewhere, think its just under a ton with VAT added.

Picked one up for £50 from GSF (forgot to ask for Disc though Dohh!), its a GKN one, looks OK, as mentioned not as good Q as the original, then again I doubt there car will be around another 13 years LOL