Sign in to follow this  
wandee

Lowering springs - anyone tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK2-3-Cor ... dZViewItem

I'm a bit suspicious since they are so cheap...but the idea looks a good one. Bearing in mind my car will never see a race track, doesn't get thrashed and I just want to lower it for the looks...are they worth buying? Obviously I want the car to neither wallow about or feel like Freddie Flintstone's motor, so does anyone have any experience of them?

You really do get what you pay for with suspension. The springs are probably rock hard and it's going to ride terribly on standard length shocks because they'll keep bottoming out.

You'd be much better off at looking at a set of decent lowering springs and shocks.

You really do get what you pay for with suspension. The springs are probably rock hard and it's going to ride terribly on standard length shocks because they'll keep bottoming out.

You'd be much better off at looking at a set of decent lowering springs and shocks.

Yeah I suspected that too...pity though cos I'm just looking to experiment with ride height on the cheap.

TBH somewhere in the region of 30-40mm seems to be the best for looks/ride height. If you go much lower then it looks very odd unless you've got huge wheels, which will then scrub and you're likely to grind the splitter into most slight deviations in the road surface too. Not to mention how stiff it'll be :(

Edit: Also worth saying that depending on how saggy your suspension and/or top mounts are it may not actually make any difference to the ride height swapping between your old, standard suspension and all-new, lowered stuff.

Annnd it takes a month or so for new suspension to settle down properly so it always looks a bit higher when you first put it on (maybe only 5mm or so, but it does noticably hunker down).

Yeah I know what you mean. I'vew actually got a set of AVO coilovers but took them off cos they were bloody awfull...bouncy at speed yet somehow hard as nail on bumps around the streets. Hate them I do!

Heh yeah this is the problem with suspension. You think it's just a case of buying a lower set, but then you drive it and realise there's a whole world to springs and dampers lol.

It's bizarre - I've got Konis and H&Rs on mine and even when you change the settings on the Konis it makes a world of difference to how it feels. Similarly, I had some Eibach springs with the Konis before and although it wasn't actually any harder, it felt so much crashier over bumps around town.

Yeah it's a bit of a science working oout spring and damper rates!...just a pity it's such a fanny on taking these things off/on cos it would probably be fun playing about with them .