Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Help! VR6 ISV woes!

Right guys, need some help.

Been having the usual idle troubles with my 95 VR6. I took off the ISV and cleaned it up with carb cleaner which sorted out all the running and stalling problems. I was in a hurry and also noticed the MAF connector was looking a bit ropey so promised myself to fix that too when i had some spare time.

Now after a run of around 300 miles the car was back to its old habits of stalling and running a little rough at slow speeds. so I took out the ISV again and cleaned it some more, sprayed a little WD40 in as well to see if that would help.

While I was at it I unpluged the MAF connector and repaired it with insulating tape. I also cleaned the little baffle box thing attached to the isv as well.

Now after I restarted the car it struggled but finally fire up and idled at 1300rpm! Now it stalls at every junction at whatever speed and gear, idle is all over the place but normally over 1000rpm its a total nightmare to drive.

I'm pretty certain that the ISV is knackered but can't see how it would fail just from being cleaned, does anyone know if I could have upset something else?

Also, tried to get a new ISV but VW want £240 for it, but read on here that a ford galaxy one would fit but no joy from my local ford lad as he can't find it on his system. does anyone have a part number?

cheers for any help

If you go to Euro car parts its about 140quid or look for an idle stabilisation valve for an Audi coupe 2.0 16v they're the same and tend to be cheaper second hand and new only 190quid from audi. Has to be the 16v model though others dont fit.

Hope this helps a bit

Does sound like you've upset something else to me, double check it all for air leaks etc. Cleaning one shouldn't destroy it.

Check that the sponge from the black ISV damper pot hasn't been sucked into the ISV pipework. This happened on mine, with very similar syptoms to yours.