Sign in to follow this  
TomD

G60 Power Steering Pump Death! Help needed!

Hi All!

My steerings felt a little 'odd' for a little while now. The car's had a recon'd rack in it since last summer - reading the reports of recon'd racks on here before I thought maybe i'd got a duff one.

However I've just arrived at my parents house, went to back in the drive and the steering was really heavy.

Got it on the drive and opened the bonnet to here this horrible noise. I've just swapped the head for a P&P one and had teh supercharger rebuilt so feared the worse. :(

Then I look across to see Power steering fluid all over the power steering reservoir, althouth the top was on tight.

then i look at the floor to see a trickle of power sterring fluid coming fom underneath the car. Have a quick look underneath to see it gushing out of the power steering pump. :( :(

So anyway I'm guessing the pump's knackered.

EDIT: I've found a second hand pump now (Thanks to Jez at RK engineering! :D )

So is it a case of getting the old one off, putting the new one on and filling it back up. Seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to fill the pump with fluid before you put it back on.

And is it possible it would have taken anything else out with it? Fluid seems to be coming from where the pulley mounts into the pump.

Any help much appreciated!

Tom

And what fluid is best to use? The stuff on my drive is bright red (Garage put it in), I've got some VAG stuff I bought last year but not opened it yet - read on another post that its supposed to be green? :D