Sign in to follow this  
G60DUBBA

NACKERED SUBFRAME?

Hello fellow dubbers, yesterday i was driving my g60 and my steering went all funny, the car started 2 drive in different directions i managed to gain control and pull into a quiet road. I got out the car and saw that the passenger side wheel was slightly out and my drivers wheel was straight.... i carried on driving to park it up, and on the passenger side all i heard was a filthy clonking noise, then my car came to a stand still, i tried to reverse it- but to know avail... all the gears are not working. I come out the car and the wheel has smashed my arch, we jacked the car up, and my friend and a mechanic said it was my subframe that was nackered because of the rot... it had snapped.

I am in a prediciment, financially also, as i have no gears and the car is not drivable- i will have to get it towed to a garage.

Has anyone been in this situation? I would appreciate all the advice given....

Is she worth repairing? i don't want to scrap her!

Regards

A subframe doesn't cost THAT much mate, of course it's not worth scrapping!

You will have tyour work cut out finding a G60 one though, I've found more hen's teeth recently :/

im worried about the labour. im not too technical with the mechanics. Would a golf mk2 subframe be compatible ? or a Vr6 subframe?

Do a search on here mate, plenty of info (a mk2 G60 subframe should be the same iirc, but do a check for sure)

It's basically what the engine, suspension and most of the front end bolts to so labour will be quite up there, but I don't think it's too hard to do if you have a few knowledgeable mates.

ill try my best. my g60 is ill, the handbrake has gone, gear box is pissed i think... or maybe the cv joint has disconnected... but it will be another 6 weeks till i get back on road. Ive had her for only a month aswell. :(

This problem with the subframes seem to be getting common, Im in the process of replacing everything on the front end of mine at the moment and just had a good look at my subframe and it looks a bit sad with loads of surface rust around the welds :shock: hope mine holds out and doesn`t give way at high speed..

if your subframe is off the car, you could try tapping it with a hammer to simulate road bumps etc?

Just a thought.

Its still on the car boost monkey but i will have a look tomoz, Now wheres that Sledge :)

:lol:

it is a worry though, of course. The black paint / coating that parts seem to come in these days is more to prevent against flash rust than actually serve as a long term protective layer.

I'm still looking for a good coating, although POR-15 seem to have some good ones or there's always the tried-and-tested hammerite!

got my subframe from "volks-apart" delivered to my house 2day..... cost me £94 in total, (£30 delivery fee)..........

getting her towed to the garage next wednesday.....

also my cv joint has popped out my passenger side wheel... where the subframe gave away...... has this got anything to do with me not having any gears?

got my subframe from "volks-apart" delivered to my house 2day..... cost me £94 in total, (£30 delivery fee)..........

getting her towed to the garage next wednesday.....

also my cv joint has popped out my passenger side wheel... where the subframe gave away...... has this got anything to do with me not having any gears?

if you're trying to drive it then YES, it is completely utterly and directly related to you not being able to drive (if that's what you mean by "having any gears")

its been a long time.

got my car repaired, back on the road once agen....

sourced a decent subframe from VOLKS-APART

total bill of parts and repair = £285

now another problem has arisen....