Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Subframe out whilst leaving engine in?

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to refurb my subframe in the next few months and I was wondering whether it would be possible to keep the engine in situ when taking the subframe out?

Obviously the front mount would be fine, but the rear and gearbox mounts would come out with the frame.

Would it be possible to keep the engine in it's intended position on a crane even though it would have no supports underneath it?

Would you recommend taking the gearbox off as it will only be supported by the gearbox bolts which might be placed under too much stress/strain?

Don't mind taking the engine out if needs be, but would rather not.

Cheers,

Jon.

hi

i would use one of those engine supports that go across the engine bay and support the engine off the inner wings you will have no worries about the engine falling off anything and you can still jack the car up and down without any hasle

There could be a few people doing this soon as the number of broken subframe stories seems to be on the increase......

Aaaah, I wondered what those were!

Cheers, I'll get right on it :D

Good time to do the engine mounts and the PAS rack rubber bush too. Its easier to leave the PAS rack on the subframe when you drop it off as it has some very strange bolts that need drifting out of the subframe assembly.

Good time to do the engine mounts and the PAS rack rubber bush too. Its easier to leave the PAS rack on the subframe when you drop it off as it has some very strange bolts that need drifting out of the subframe assembly.

Yeah I did have to :scratch: a little bit when disassembling spare front endage. Just borrowed the balljoint seperator from bro, so I'm hoping the rack will be off the subframe too. The bolts seemed to be splined or something don't they?

Yeah I did have to :scratch: a little bit when disassembling spare front endage. Just borrowed the balljoint seperator from bro, so I'm hoping the rack will be off the subframe too. The bolts seemed to be splined or something don't they?[/quote:2p8zgjuv]

Yes they are but I am not sure why, the only reason I could come up with was the interferance fit of the spline ensures more accurate location of the PAS rack on the subframe.

That would make a lot of sense, considering that the tracking / wheel alignment is a very precise adjustment :)

Got the rack off now, didn't realise the tie rods needed a huge spanner to undo them, so i've left it as is until I can get a *laughs* monkey wrench :lol:

That would make a lot of sense, considering that the tracking / wheel alignment is a very precise adjustment :)

Got the rack off now, didn't realise the tie rods needed a huge spanner to undo them, so i've left it as is until I can get a *laughs* monkey wrench :lol:

:D do the puns get better or worse the further through the job you get just to pre warn us all :D

possibly worse? :lol:

p.s. are there any banana clips holding the rack down??

(I'll get my coat...)

Bugger that, just get out now and get walking, you can call a taxi when your gone ;)