Sign in to follow this  
joby

16 valve wont start when hot

After finishing renewing all the suspension rubbers and rear bushes and replacing the puny 16v brakes with 280mm jobbies and grooved discs im feeling all pleased but now have to tackle the running issue i have, This started last year at the malvern 3 counties show the car doesnt want to start hot and just turns over but is alright untill it reaches about 80deg oil temp then it just wont start untill its cold again, I have checked to see if i have a spark and i do so im assuming its a fuel issue even though i cant smell any fuel, I was wondering wether its a pump problem? Any other ideas would be helpfull (wheres davidwort) :) I want to get the car back on the road now ready for the shows so if anyone knows any valver hot starting quirks

Mine used to suffer this, cured it by fixing the rad fan after-run.

Without the after-run to cool the bay when you've switched the engine off, the heat from the lump would evaporate the fuel in the lines and make it really reluctant to start.

Might be a good (cheap) place to start to try and fix it.

I ended up changing the fuel pressure accumulator, both fuel pumps, and the fuel filter before i found the after-run was shagged!

Did run sweet afterwards though!

Is it a KR 16v?

If so the sensor for the after-run is on the left hand side of the head as you look at the engine.

Sure davidwort (16v knowledge font) will be along soon lol :D

Good luck....

Thanks mate will look into this! Gota start somewhere, I can see this costing me :?

Any more ideas on this please! Nothing worse than a corrado with all new bigger brakes and suspension bushes that ya just cant drive :(

does it still crank nice n fast when its hot

mine sounded like the battery was getting flat when hot....beefy starter leads cured it

Spent a few hours trying different things testerday, seem to be getting a spark ok and pulled a injector out aswell and theres fuel spray there too! Is there anything that aids starting when hot like higher fuel pressure as im lost now! Looks like im going to have to take it to somewhere to check fuel pressure and the like, So annoying when it starts and runs fine when its its cold and you can even stop and start it several times untill it reaches running temp then it just wont start again untill cold :? :help: Anyone

Spent a few hours trying different things testerday, seem to be getting a spark ok and pulled a injector out aswell and theres fuel spray there too!

Hi

In that case it could be overfuelling because of the temperature senders. Do you know about the temperature sensors on the right side of the block ?

Have found the problem :D Cold start Valve! When i remove the connection it starts when hot :? Obviously overfueling! does anybody know how the valve actually works ? is there a sensor or is it something to do with the WUR, As i dont want to start buying all sorts of things an find out its just a temp sender or something?