Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Interesting Oil Facts Part # 1

To kick off Opie Oils new 12 part series of interesting oil facts we thought that we would address the statement

What would you suggest to be the highest "safe" temperature readout for oil? I hear it's 107*C, after which it's performance will first begin to deteriorate. You're the oilman, so that's why I want to get an answer from you.

What temp they can handle all depends on what they are made from and their viscosity.

A top synthetic 5w-40 is happy running around at 120degc all day long without shearing down.

Cheers

Guy.

What about the VW recommended oil - Synta Silver? Will that run fine at 120 degrees?

i was told thats the top end of its limit really as its a semi, so i started driving slower lol

A semi will struggle with prlonged use at 120degc.

VW recomend semi as the minimum spec oil to be used in the corrado, synthetic is the quality choice and always has been.

Cheers

Guy.

just a polite suggestion oilman

why dont you write some vw /rado specific thoughts on oil choices? instead of the random stuff you posted up there

maybe a choice from opie for those on a budget /meduim budget/track use etc

and some gear oil chat wouldnt go a miss...we all know redline helps tired boxes alot, are there any better choices or cheaper choices etc

:hitler: :hitler: