Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Mine has started making a row! meh - i have used the Wiki and i have the general idea of how to change it but im scared incase it all goes really wrong lol

it has only just nicely started making a ratteling noise in the past couple of days, would you say its Jamf? or would a reagrease see it done lol. BTW i did the search and came up with http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7833&st=0&sk=t&sd=a this topic, is there anyone else who is doing this? or is it a garage jobbie?

Just had my belt replaced at a garage on wednesday. Drove back from garage 3 miles. Left for three days, took out last night for another 3 miles when reversing to park steering suddenly felt stiff. Poped the bonnet to find broken belt :shock: . Does this mean something has seized?

Just had my belt replaced at a garage on wednesday. Drove back from garage 3 miles. Left for three days, took out last night for another 3 miles when reversing to park steering suddenly felt stiff. Poped the bonnet to find broken belt :shock: . Does this mean something has seized?

Sounds like the tensioner wheel has seized causing the belt to ride over it until it snaps.

Many thanks for the offer ziderapple :) just got car back from garage and the belt the supplier sent was the wrong size belt

correct length, slightly wrong width :? Anyway just had a blast around the ring road and seems fine. Sorry for hi jacking

this thread :oops:

I took a long bolt and used two pieces of metal bent at 90 degrees and several nuts to create my own tensioner. I'll get a better picture of it next time I'm out.

n525101437_1024780_2696.jpg

managed to get a full SKF tensioner with mounting bracket for £40, didnt fancy the chopping idea and i needed it here for friday so had to get one in :p :)