Sign in to follow this  
markrtw

VR6 rad fan fails to work with engine switched on

I have a 94 VR6 which over the last year has had a new rad, matrix, water pump, aux water pump and various hoses. Just when I thought all my cooling issues might be over the fan stops working! The coolant temp gauge works fine and the oil temps are as normal. When sat about in traffic and the coolant temp rises the fan does not kick in. I have not left it long enough to get hot enough to see if the 3rd (high speed) fan level kicks in. The interesting thing is when it's hot and you switch off the ignition the fan will kick in as expected. Switch the ignition back on and the fan stops again.

I have tried searching on it and tried the suggestions for over-riding the fan swich, but the fan would still not work. Just to double check I fitted a new fan thermo switch from VW. I have checked the fuses related to the fan (on the fan control unit and had a look under the dash). Anyone got any ideas? Could it be the control unit itself?

When I turn off my ignition, the fan will come on if the engine is a little on the hot side, even if it wasn't on previously.

In traffic, the temp gauge has to go over 100 and nearly up to 110 before the fan kicks in. You should be okay to test up to 110. Above that, steam may fly!

There's two control circuits and two fuses - one that operates with the ignition on, one that operates with it off.

The ignition-off stuff is in the little black box under the bonnet, the ignition-on fuses are in the fusebox. I don't recall which fuse it is ..

The ignition-off stuff is in the little black box under the bonnet, the ignition-on fuses are in the fusebox. I don't recall which fuse it is ..

OP, If you still have your fusebox cover, it should say which fuse it is on the back of that.

i was reading a way to test the switch in the manual the other day, but can't remember what it was.

something about disconnecting it, and touching something to earth