Sign in to follow this  
colsy

worrying noises....

Morning all,

on my way into work this morning i noticed a knocking from the front NS, sounded like the drive shaft was knocking against something as it turned, definatley a rotating part, the noise was distinctivley periodic. checked the shat, it was straight and in one piece, nothing close to be knocking into either? also when braking an odd sqeeling from the front NS brake can be heared. prior to hearing this noise, also this morning, i hit a subsided grate in the road, it went with a loud thud...really bad! our roads are appaling! i dont think its the gear box, the frequency doesent change when shifting gear whilst traveling at constant speed, could it have damaged the wheel bearing (it must be feked if thats the case, never heard a bearing sound like that!!) my friend whose a mechanic will look at it for me later, but its bothering me now, would like to price all the possible scenarios up. any advic on what i can check?

Cheers,

Col.

jack the car up & spin the wheel.. then hold the wheel with both hands & rock it side to side to see if theres any play.. check the wishbones etc & bushes.. ive had a bearing collapse made funny noises & when we took it apart the bearing fell to peices...

get it sorted asap.. im thinking the bearings died...

Hi guys,

an update:

had my mate (Mechanic) look at the car last night he's confident its not a bearing, virtually no play. the drive shaft's look fine & makes no noises when rotated un-loaded, infact when the car is jacked up, the noise cannot be heared, only when moving fully loaded with the cars weight?? he's going to take a look tomorow in some better light. the noise does sound quite deep i.e. heavy load if you know what i mean, its not like a clip catching and makeing a tinging noise, more like a crunch/grind. the NS front disk is slightly seized on, which makes it easy for me to say the wheel/disk isn't buckled, i.e. there are no tight spots & the disk cannot be seen wandering away/near to the pad when wheel is rotated. any thoughts???

Cheers,

Col.

bump...anyone?

Hi

If I remember correctly, there is metal plate, a sort of a dust/heat guard behind the hub. Just bend it to clear.

bought a new CV, upon stripping the existing CV joint for inspection, all seem'd to be well, dis-hearedly i rebuilt without fitting new CV, drove car home, noise no longer present...wierd....but i'm not complaining....dislocated bush???? touch wood thats the last of it. thanks for people's replys, as always, much appriciated.

Col.

infact when the car is jacked up, the noise cannot be heared, only when moving fully loaded with the cars weight??

This is not uncommon mate, a lot of sounds that you hear whilst driving cannot be replicated when the car is stationary, just for future ref. Does make troubleshooting a b