Sign in to follow this  
ianmorgan50

G60 1992 RUNNING PROBLAMS HELP

hi everyone i am new to the forum and the G60 i had a golf gti 2.0 8v mk3 befor this and i love it but i only had the car a week and its not running right since i've had it there been nothing but problams frist the exhaust fall off on the way home so i had to pay out £320 on a new 1 as the rear box it around £110 i just went for a fall stainless system inc de-cat but but it still sounds funny i will do a vid tonight and put it on you tube and add the link but its not right but the if im driving along at 30mph in 3rd gear if i come off the throttle a bit the car judders but its smove on accaration also is very slow even more so after 50mph basicly my golf gti 8v with vavle gide seals gone is faster please help as im very new to this car and dont really understand it yet lol

if you do a little search for G60 problems you will get a more concise answer, but it's generally timing issues (weird system to time them up, another thing to search on here for) or lambda/wiring issues. best to get it to a reputable garage that really know the G60 to get it all checked over (including the charger) for some peace of mind.

Hallo and welcome.

Try this procedure below to check the charger system is working correctly and is not leaking:

G60 boost check

Do you know how to test your boost levels?

Start Motor

Move the MFA selector to "2"

Press and hold the MFA end button (keep holding)

Stop motor

Start Motor

Release the MFA end button.

Press the MFA End button one time.

For UK cars, you should now see 450-470 (warm engine) fluctuating with idle.

Go run your car!!! 3rd and 4th gear to REDLINE. Carefully note the highest #'s you've got.

A pullied charger should not make less than 11.6psi, and even so, thats weak. A Stock charger should make ~~11psi in perfect shape!

USA EURO Hg(#'s of boost/vacuum) Comments

15 200 -23.7

55 400 -17.8

90 600 -11.9

127 800 -5.9

148 1000 0 (Atmosphere- ala no boost, charger is bypassed)

172 1200 2.9 psi (Your charger is dead or big boost leak)

192 1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is about dead or big boost leak)

211 1600 8.7 psi (Your charger needs new apex strips or big boost leak)

228 1800 11.6 psi (Great for stock pulley, Probably needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

242 2000 14.5 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

255 2200 17.4 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on heavily ported charger, hold on to your ass fast!!)

255 and up folks need to be careful with fueling, as the programming maps end at about 242 on the ecu. Dynotuning, and air/fuel/egt gauge, and custom chip recommended

Obviously make sure you are on a clear piece of road before doing this.

probl(e)ms

doesnt sound too healthy have you checked all your leads etc i.e take them off one by one and see if it changes that could cause the stuttering but is normally more pronounced!

the juddering could purely be an engine mount but in both my g60's there not the smoothest of cars coming off throttle,

That sounds terrible, seems like one of the cylinders is missing so you are only running on 3 instead of 4.

Do the plug removal thing and see which cylinder does not make any difference to the running noise.

As for boost pressure it is impossible to tell if its ok unless you carry out the procedure I detailed in the original post, it needs to be driven in 3rd and then floored until 6k to check the boost pressure.