Sign in to follow this  
Brando

Insuring a Car for a couple of Days

Hi guys I have my Corrado with Adrian flux, and I had leant my parents my clio for a couple of months. They are now done with it and I am trying to sell it. A person in work is very keen to see it, and I presumed I would be able to simply add it to my Corrado Insurance policy. But due to the Clio being worth £5000 and the Corrado £4000 they are unwilling to add it :?

So this leaves me stumped any Ideas?? Short of getting a new policy and getting skanked for cancellation fees AND also having to shell out a large amount for it?? :evil:

Check your insurance certificate. Some companies (Norwich Union Direct for example) insure their policyholder to drive any other car or bike not owned by them third party only - whether it's insured already or not. So if the vehicle's registration documents are still in your parents name you might be OK to drive it under this extension...if Adrian Flux provide this of course. Just because the person you spoke to didn't mention this doesn't mean it wont be on your certificate.

If you want comprehensive cover though you are a bit stuck I'm afraid.

Joe

The docs are under my name I never changed them over to my rents :/. My rents used their own insurance policy which they now have another clio on for my sister to learn to drive on.

Adrian flux don't cover me 3rd party which is a shame :/

Bummer :(

You're going to have to get another policy; and pay 2 months up front to get it started. If you set up a monthly payment plan you may not lose more than this initial payment if you cancel in the first 6-7weeks, depending on when you set the direct debit up for. Different insurers have different cancellation rates so check the options out.

There's one other thing - which is a bit naughty but hey ;) Most big insurers now give you a 14 day period at the beginning of a policy (if they are to be compliant with the General Insurance Standards Council) wherein you can cancel during this time "if the policy doesn't meet your needs," and get a full refund so long as no claims are made. If you only need 14 days cover...well...

Joe

.. and another issue there is that if you then cancel you *were never covered* for those 14 days..

Not an issue in practice, unless you do something silly like getting a speeding ticket come through the post *after* you cancel the policy..

Could get messy.

Check your insurance certificate. Some companies (Norwich Union Direct for example) insure their policyholder to drive any other car or bike not owned by them third party only - whether it's insured already or not.

The last bit is not quite true, I'm afraid.

The vehicle HAS to have insurance in order to be on the road.

That excludes you driving the car 3rd party with fully comp. on another car. Every vehicle has to have its own cover - in case of it any harm coming to another vehicle/human/etc. whether the vehicle is moving, parked, nicked, etc.

As for a solution to your problem, Brando, sorry - think you're stuck!

Your best bet is to find a company that will do a 1-month policy or something but

a) might be hard to find

b) will probably cost about 1/3 of your usual annual insurance.

if i were you mate id just take the risk and have no insurance until you sell it!! ive done this a few times with cars that ive been trying to sell :shock:

if i were you mate id just take the risk and have no insurance until you sell it!! ive done this a few times with cars that ive been trying to sell :shock:

and that also has to be the most irresponsible thing you could ever do :roll:

Check your insurance certificate. Some companies (Norwich Union Direct for example) insure their policyholder to drive any other car or bike not owned by them third party only - whether it's insured already or not.

The last bit is not quite true, I'm afraid.

The vehicle HAS to have insurance in order to be on the road.

That excludes you driving the car 3rd party with fully comp. on another car. Every vehicle has to have its own cover - in case of it any harm coming to another vehicle/human/etc. whether the vehicle is moving, parked, nicked, etc.

Hi Andi

Well, you're right, with Brando being the registered owner / keeper this is true. If he wasn't he might have got away with driving it under the third party extension but it's now a bit of a moot point :)

FYI, the NUD certificate states "under the terms of secftion 2 - liability to third parties - the policyholder may also drive a motor car not belonging to him/her or hired to him/her under a hire purchase or lease agreement." All the insurer is covering is their policyholders legal liability whilst driving - not the car themselves. As such there is nothing on the certificate which makes this provisional on the vehicle itself being insured. However if (for example) the car's handbrake broke and it rolled into something they wouldn't pay out and the registered owner / keeper would be personally liable.

Joe

Not at all ;) I just queried this after being told different things by different NUD employees on different days of the week :shock: One of their underwriters ended up telling me that if I drove a mate's car which wasn't insured I would be covered. However Andi made a good point, whether PC Plod would then pursue my mate might be a different matter. Depends if the police got involved in the first place I guess...

Does make you wonder though, if the insurance reps are unsure of the rules regarding this what chance do the public stand?

Joe

Right, I rang Adrain Flux again and asked to speak to a supervisor. I then explained fully my situation and shock at them being able to insure me on my grp 17 Corrado and not on my group 2 clio :/.

The result 26.69 for a weeks cover on my Corrado Policy :), so happy now - just need this woman to buy it from work and I am sorted!!!!

Very good chance of getting done too - the police can tell if the car has insurance just by scanning the numberplate !!

Very good chance of getting done too - the police can tell if the car has insurance just by scanning the numberplate !!

and they are fitting those cameras to their cars more and more, they can simply be travelling in the opposite direction down a road to you, when you pass each other, alarm bells ring, quickly followed by blues and tows :roll: