Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

cheapest place for exhausts? please help

a mate of mine has a real bad blown exhaust i`m gonna get a look at it on friday but though id just see what info there is for exhausts, are any pattern parts available ( i think its middle box needed) what do you know on cost for VW and any others available?

he`s not really into his car just wants to use it so not really interested in spending 300ish on a stainless, although i have warned him, i might sell him mine and buy a new one??

cheers

ben

Buying a new exhaust for a 'rado new from VW is serious money, there are pattern parts available but these are generally cheese and could well work out to be false economy. Stainless exhausts frequently come up on Edition 38 forums as well as on here often going for prices around £200 which'll still be cheeper than a new centre box from VW.

Yeah on the look out for an exhaust too, also need a down pipe. I got a quote from Andrew Page to see how much the back box was, £295 + VAT :shock:

i`m such a muppet its 91 1.8 16v hook type exhaust

I've never been 100% about this, but the resonator/suitcase centre box may be the same as a mk2 16v GTI, the front silencer (small straight pipe definitely is) and downpipe with it's integral silencer is.

This would open your options up as more factors do mk2 parts.

cheers david, the lads at my local exhaust place are pretty friendly, so after i`ve had a look at whats needed i might whizz it over there and ask them to compare a golf 16v section if they got one in stock!

I picked up a middle box a couple weeks ago for £50 never used :shock: didn't realise what a bargin I got :D

Edit: should've said it was from Ebay so you don't think there was a regular supply :lol:

I picked up similar part on ebay and had so called independant VW expert garage fit it, they made an arse of it and tried to claim the exhaust was defective,rattles etc, of course second garage fixed it properly, so if in Edinburgh watch out for the so called VW experts, my arse!