Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Cooling system - renewing

Ive been ok with just Jubilee clips, apart from intially cracking the ebow joint.

Yeah i cant see why jubille clips wouldnt work, i use jubilees for all my supercharger pipes which are high pressure and they work fine. You can get nice chunky jubilee clips anyway!

And come to think of it my bottom rad hose is jubilee clipped so :p

I hear that jubilees aren't the best for high-pressure/coolant hoses because they don't grip evenly around the circumference of the pipe.

No personal experience mind you, just food for thought.

I hear that jubilees aren't the best for high-pressure/coolant hoses because they don't grip evenly around the circumference of the pipe.

Did you hear that from page 1 of this thread? :wink: :lol:

I'd never use jubilee's on the standard rubber hoses but you need something a bit stronger on silicon, especially boost hoses...

I used Mikalors on mine, expensive and have gone rusty within 3 years altho I think they do full marine grade stainless now!

the samco jubliees are 100% stainless, most stainless clips don't have a stainless screw thread, i was told

also the samco ones have a rolled edge to them so they don't cut into the hose, the chap at baileymotorsport said they are v.nice clips, but he has used standard clips for years now and never had a problem, as long as you avoid ones with holes in

i saw your link to those other clips, would you recommend them, and any idea of sizes and quantities i may need?

Did you hear that from page 1 of this thread? :wink: :lol:

Oops, didn't mean to poach. Remembered Prodigal mentioning it when he did his Samcos last year :salute: :notworthy: :salute:

And right on cue...

Three comments:

1) Most jubilee clips have stainless rings but mild steel screws, so you'd be well advised to grease the threaded part well to stop it rusting. :wink:

2) the h-shaped Samco between the oil cooler and the water pump is a total PITA unless you remove the front of the car - this one piece took me over 4 hours to fit - you have been warned... :roll:

3) Good Jubilees have rolled edges, great ones (usually designed for fuel lines) have a part that sits inside the area where the jubilee curves over itself, to stop it pinching the hose and to even out the pressure around the hose. :)

got my samcos today, many thanks to Dukest off here :wave:

DSC00652.jpg

and been on phone to a few companies about clips and settled for JCS Hi grip jubliee clips, they make a fully stainless steel clip

http://www.jcshi-torque.co.uk/higrip.htm

and here is a list of sizes i worked out you need:

13mm (2x required)

15mm (1x required)

23mm (1x required)

27mm (8x required)

30mm (2x required)

39mm (2x required)

46mm (2x required)

Welldone on deciding to replace the clips on the hoses they come off easy but putting them back on is one pain in the arse (the old ones i mean)!!

i know, i had to do a hose before and had so much trouble with the original clips, have checked with a few places now and they all seem to think jubliees are fine as long as you get the right ones

after paying £55 for one hose from VW, i thought £200ish was a bargin for all of them, should last longer too (in theory)

more niceness arrived today

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

got a bit i didn't need, didn't know the y-piece was golf only, i did say on phone it was for a corrado but they didn't mention that i don't need it, (my fault really should of read things properly)

took 2.5 weeks to arrive from date of order, just for reference.

just to keep everything in one place, and i seem to like taking pics, always helpful i guess

fitted the gruvenparts rad neck to the rad lastnight, couldn't do much else really until jubliees arrive.

160,000miles rad neck with the new VW one, old one cracked as soon as the spanner got near it

DSC00664.jpg

Gruven rad neck, very good quality imo, fits well too

DSC00663.jpg

Some lovely kit you've got there 8) . You can use the y-piece - I've got one. You just need to cut the hose. I wouldn't be happy cutting a new Samco, but you could try it with the old hose. Then I guess it would look out of place with the other Samcos. Hmmm. I'd leave it tbh! :lol:

after paying £55 for one hose from VW, i thought £200ish was a bargin for all of them, should last longer too (in theory)

Absolutely spot on mate.

The pipe that goes from the expansion/header tank to the thermostat and (some part) of the engine (with the T piece) is £90 alone too!

I said that same.. if i'm going to have to pay that much, I'd rather get a bloody full set of samco!

Nice work.

the funny thing is that has car has been off the road for 3-4weeks, i've saved about £200 in petrol :lol: so almost got samcos for nothing in a way :?

got the old crack pipe off today, was pretty easy, just undo the hose attached to it, then you undo two bolts with an allen key, these are on the thermostat end, and the bottom elbow of thermostat housing just pull off, then the crack pipe just pulls out of block (with a bit of effort) :lol: