Sign in to follow this  
stevie_f_2004

Gruvenparts Crack Pipe replacement???

Following the write-up on Gruvenparts the requirement to "Get the lock carrier assembly to the service position using this DIY". This write up is for the mark iv golf. Does the corrado have the same facility to gain access or will I have to remove the front end of the car????

Pull the front off, it gives you far better access, gives you the opportunity to do remedial work to other parts and doesn't take that long either.

You can jack the engine up, but the old crack pipes are a right bugger to remove., and the hose from the oil cooler is awkward to swap over. remember to order a thermostat housing to head seal. It's kinda triangular, and your old one will be stretched and nasty.

Pull the front off, it gives you far better access, gives you the opportunity to do remedial work to other parts and doesn't take that long either.

You can jack the engine up, but the old crack pipes are a right bugger to remove., and the hose from the oil cooler is awkward to swap over. remember to order a thermostat housing to head seal. It's kinda triangular, and your old one will be stretched and nasty.

what else needs to come off then to do the crackpipe.

does the thermostat need to come off again? :eek:

I think its just the bottom arm of the thermostat housing that needs to come off so you can then remove the old crack pipe!!

Also, when you remove your old crack pipe, make sure you run some coarse emery paper in the block area where it sits. The existing opening will no doubt be deformed with rust and most definitely wont be circular.

i have a pic of it, not taken it off yet, but my car is in pieces at the mo

its the black tube you can see here

DSC00640.jpg

Once you get that crack pipe off mate its plain sailing then just make sure you do up the bolts to the correct torque and dont over tighten them otherwise you will crack the plastic!

I found that parts of this page were a help but remember some of the stuff they mention is for the US corrado!!

http://www.gruvenparts.com/website/diys/crack%20pipe%20installation.htm

That guide has made it seem alot more complicated then it looks :lol:

i have a guy going to look at mine today for me, to get some advice

There's really nothing to it.... 3 bolts for the thermostat housing, then the pipe is just pushed into the water pump housing, there's one water pipe connected halfway down it to remove too....

I did this recently, pretty easy job and better if combined with fitting a mocal or similar upgrades in that area.

I accomplished it just by jacking the engine up a few inches after removing the front mount bolt and loosening the rear.

I found that applying some silicone sealant the end of the pipe that goes into the block was a good idea and also made it easier to get a good fit as it lubricated the joint before it cured. Defo a good idea to replace the thermostat housing if you are doing this jon though as it gets very brittle with age and will literally fall apart in your hands if not very careful... only £15 or so from GSF