Sign in to follow this  
KipVR

Sound Deadening under bonnet

All the sound deadening stuck to the underside of my bonnet has degraded and is dropping all over the engine bay, my local dealer has quoted £70 :shock: for a replacement set of panels, has anyone else used any alternatives? I want to keep it as it does soak up al lot of the engine sound keeping it quieter in the cabin.

I've got noisekiller under my G60's bonnet. Doesn't make it silent by any means but definitely muffles it. And it looks cool.

I used a roll of Dynamat hoodliner on mine.

I carefully removed the old crumbly panels and used them to cut new templates. Easy peasy.

The hoodliner has been stuck on my bonnet for a good few years now I reckon, over a year of that suffering turbo heat and the glue is still bonded like barnacles to the bonnet. Awesome stuff.

Sound waves are only absorbed by non reflective surfaces which is why the VAG stuff is like a waffle and is open cell foam.

So how can the shiny alternatives work with a reflective surface? Surely that's meant for a bulkhead -to reflect the sound and heat back into the engine bay??

It's a bit like when you drive your car over grass the engine sounds much quieter then on tarmac because the sound is absorbed by the grass but reflected by tarmac.......

I'm looking to re-new my under bonnet foam and would like to know if the VR6 foam will fit on a early G60 bonnet.

Also been reading up on here about Noisekiller and Dynamat (is that how you spell it) products, which is best?

Chris

I'm looking to re-new my under bonnet foam and would like to know if the VR6 foam will fit on a early G60 bonnet.Chris

Yup, same part number for early and late Chris: 323 863 950

Part number was checked against a 1991 Corrado and a 1994 Corrado, I doubt they would made the foam a different shape, there seems to be no reason for it.

Check the link in shawshankkids post above ^^^^

Definitely different patterns! :wink:

I guess VAGCAT is wrong then :roll:

YEP just seen this topic, check out the first post.[/quote:2ogwgbrg]

Not sure what you're referring to mate :scratch: