Sign in to follow this  
Koot

1993 Corrado 16v : Klunk noise at the front end...

PLEASE... there must be someone out there that knows the mystery klunk noise :(

I bought the car a year ago and I noticed it had a random noise, it's now getting louder and more regular.

When pulling off in first it does it, and sometimes in second. Even done it when turning, however, not always. It's done it under braking when in first gear also. I haven't noticed it doing it in third, fourth or fifth.

I thought it was coming from the front o/s, however, I'm beginning to wonder if it's coming from the front centre, not sure as you know how noise can travel :eek: My mate, who is (I would say) a spot on mechanic has had a look and can't find where it's coming from, I've also checked the ball joints, anti-roll bar, suspension arms and any other joints, including engine mounts, I'm puzzled!!! :?

Maybe it's a case of having to wait for something to break or fall off before I can fix it :lol: unless there's someone out there who's had a similar problem that might know.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Chrissie :brickwall: :lol:

check the wishbone bolts through the bushes that go into the subframe. mine did exactly the same thing that you describe.

they have to be quite tight- get a torque wrench on them. mine were "tight" but i bought a decent torque wrench (£50 Teng one rather than borrowing my Dads £15 halfords jobbie lol) and it turned out they needed about another 20nm. Think its 140nm they need. Sound disappeared instantly. Literally less than 1/2 a turn cured it. I had been a bit cautious tightening them when i did the bushes as i didnt want to rip the captive nut out of the subframe, but they do need to be on the tight side tbh.

Thanks for the info dude.

I'll have a look at it next week. If that's the klunk I'll be proper chuffed to get it sorted :clap:

Watch this space lol :wave:

well done that man... sounds like a good place to start....

anyway, ola chrissie, you made it on here :) i havent been up to northampton in ages! sorry to hear koot's still playing up! o take a looky at the events page, if your free pop in to the pod on sunday and come join the fun... think theres about 20 rados gonna be on the corrado-forum stand, should be a giggle...

sorry :offtopic: good luck!,

andy

I had what sounds like the same problem on mine....

I suspect your's will be the same, as you say it's most noticable when pulling away.

It'll be the front most engine mount, mine was totaly shot.... the noise you hear is the engine lifting everytime you set off, and moving around when you turn corners.

I changed mine easyly in about 20 mins, made a huge difference to the whole car!!!!! :D

Hey Bobz,

Thanks for the mail.

I'm getting quite exciting about fixing this noise :clap:

Then..... I'll be able to drive it how I want to LOL :wink:

Chrissie

Hey Andy,

Unfortunately I'm working on Sunday :(

When is the next Dubbers meet?

:D

Hey hey heeeeey!!

Every other bolt had been checked, why not that one, because that's where I put the jack :roll:

What no klunk!!!??? Lufbramatt you're a genius, thank you!! :notworthy:

Happy days :clap: :clap: :clap: