Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

6 branch manifold

Hi guys,

2 questions -

1 - ive bought a 6 branch manifold and im planning on getting a Supersprint Cat-back exhaust at the end of the month. What, if any, power gains will i get from fitting these?

2 - When i fit the exhaust manifold what should be done with the air duct pipe which currently connects to the downpipe

IIRC, all it does is draw hot air from the exhaust manifold back into the intake to help cold starting of the car.

Do what you want with it.

Greatest benefit from a 6 branch comes if you are running forced induction of some kind.

A good tip is to get some heat wrap as well while you at it as the steel of the manifold is much thinner than stock and keeping as much heat in it as possible will help keep the engine bay temps down and also increase flow in the exhaust as the hotter fumes will flow more quickly than cooler ones due to some scientific principal i have forgotten the name of..

this kind of thing....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... c6fffd5c1d

Yup Heat wrap is also on the list, which i will get once i have got the exhaust. Where would i wrap the heat wrap - around all 6 pipes, or just around the bottom where they all join. OR both?

Have i upset some people on here? Every time i post none of the names that you regularly see on other threads seem to respond, i get a handle full of responses. Not that i dont appreciate the responses that peeps have given me, id be lost with you, but I never get a response from members, that are always posting on other threads. What happened to the sense of community?

Shoot me down if im being stupid, but its a genuine observation. i.e. if youre not well known, you dont get as much help kind of feeling.

I wrapped all 6 branches and the main downpipe as well (using some steel locking bands to secure the wrap).

Its a bit of a fiddly job and best wear gloves as you'll be itching and scratching for hours afterwards otherwise.

in regards to your other comments, I can't really say either way as I have spates of visiting the forum regularly and other times I can go for weeks without visiting... in general though I think 99.9% of people on here are mature, helpful souls and this forum has been a godsend to myself and many others over the years.

I can't see any of the usual suspects holding any illwill against any forum member, unless they have been particularly rude or deprecating of others comments... I wouldn't worry too much mate

Have i upset some people on here? Every time i post none of the names that you regularly see on other threads seem to respond, i get a handle full of responses. Not that i dont appreciate the responses that peeps have given me, id be lost with you, but I never get a response from members, that are always posting on other threads. What happened to the sense of community?

Shoot me down if im being stupid, but its a genuine observation. i.e. if youre not well know you dont get as much help kind of feeling.

Don't worry about it dude, I don't remember you doing or saying anything to stop people helping you.

As far as not getting helped if you're not known, agian, I don't think that's a huge factor, you've obviously been here a while looking at your post count (>2500) so people will be aware of you. Admitedly there are some obvious groups, with some very technically knowledgeable people who know each other communicating regularly in threads (I wouldn't dream of including myself in this group, I'm here to learn as much as possible) , but they all seem willing to help others. With regard to general posts on here, I can't speak for other people but I only get a limited period for looking on the forum during the day, and only really pay attention to threads I've been reading before, are by people I know well, or have a title that draws my interest, everything else gets left till the evening when I have more time to pootle through. Previously I had looked at this post, but other people had answered, especially Corrado vr6 nos, who's opinion I respect greatly, and I didn't think I had anything to add to the post then.

Don't worry dude, and get that 6 branch fitted... I want to find out if there is any appreciable difference from fitting one, so I know what to expect from mine... :D

^^^ tuned length manifolds are worse for turbo applications, I hear...

I'd have thought the opposite, surely you want regular exhaust pulses to keep the turbot spinning evenly??

Hey no worries about the lack of responses bud, it's a prettey laid back forum these days which is kinda nice change from the other forums with 'opinionated' enthusiast know it all's......

As for the heat wrap, you need to do them individually starting right at the top of each branch doing one wrap around and lockwiring it (don't bother with the steel zip ties you don't get many for the cash and lockwire is so cheap you can use lots of it) and then start to wind it down using a 50% overlap, so at any point there is two layers covering the tube. You can go as far down as you like, but for the purposes of keeping the heat out of the engine bay I should go up to the point of where it goes into the tunnel/up to the collector whichever comes first. When you get to the point you want to stop cut the wrap and then lockwire that. Its then good practice to do a few in between, where seems appropriate.

hope that helps chap

Chris

I guess the fact you asked a very specific question about something not many people have is also going to have an effect too, but I always find that someone on here knows the answer and will pitch in eventually, as has happened here. And if I knew half as much as Toad, I would be a happy man! Knowledgeable and a diplomat too, he is all things to all men.

Where did you pick the 6 branch from? Its on the list, but as of the yet I have no idea where to get one... :scratch: can't say i've looked too hard though :grin:

The bloke I was talking to said tuned exhaust lengths tended to make turbos laggier, but then what do I know? :shrug:

You know comedy. :grin:

But it depends who this bloke was, if he works for the lambo team then yeah, if he was a toothless nutter you met in the pub then no.

me and my rotrex are happy with the 6 branch, although i think the decat makes more of a difference to the system as a whole...

To be honest though my whole exhaust system was on its last legs at the time so Magnex + decat + 6 branch was the sensible option.

There is also the weight saving aspect to consider too...

i've heard the cats on corrados are pretty free-flowing so perhaps your old cat was dead for it's removal to make such an improvement to performance.

BLIMEY! Spoke too soon. Thanks for the reassurance from guys. I thought i would have been silly, but didnt want to have upset anyone at any point.

I will do whats been said in regards to the heat wrap, also read somewhere that its best to soak it in water first? Where do you get this lockwire?

I got the 6 branch off of pistonheads (link below) from a bloke who lives in Keighly. Had a ride in the bloke's VR6 who was selling the manifold. Sounded nice. I think the make is Raceland, not ever heard of them so dunno if its a good make or not. But £160 notes for it isnt bad, and itll be better then the OEM manifold and downpipe thats currently on as its blowing. The weight of the oem manifolds and downpipe is astonishing, it weighs so much more!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/389600.htm

Anyone had any problems getting the heatsheild bolts off the old manifold. I couldnt shift them due to the sockets i had were either too big or too small due to there being a round ring ontop of the nuts (??) never seen ones like it before. A size 12 spanner was

too small and the 13 was too big. Though i dont need to remove the heatshield to take the manifold off but allows easier access. I suppose i could get my trusty dremel out and cut them off. But thats a last resort. Plus ill be getting a supersprint cat back in the next week so may just get it all fitted at the same time.

Cheers guys

Gaz

Racelands are fairly well known in the circles, i've heard of them before through other cars I've had.

What are the welds like on the flange that attaches to the head? The ashley 4-branch I had sounded quality but the welds were a stevie wonder job. Think it was aluminium too as it was fairly light and didn't rust, just got a white layer on it (aluminium oxide).

Ill post some pics when i get home. Im no welder so wouldnt really like to comment on them. But look ok from what i can tell.

Sorry i forgot to add above that he had another fitted to his corrado already, hence the 'It sounded nice' comment :lol:

Sorry meant pics.

Mark_storm - how are you getting on with the Raceland manifold, any fitting issues?

I was thinking of changing the studs to bolts, should i bother or should i just replace the studs with new studs. If i do swap the studs for bolts, will they need to be special bolts and does anyone know what they need to be torqued up to either way?

I know a few guys who have fitted these to Rados and Golfs, meant to be a potential pain to fit but most seem happy with them although they do not add a massive amount of power..

I have heard conflicting stories about wrapping them though, some do and some dont..