Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

6 branch manifold

Sorry for the thread resurrection.

After having to wait a number of months until i could manage to get my manifold wrapped,I was just about to order some from the net and came across this thread on pistonheads - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 85685&i=20

In a nutshell they are saying on the thread that wrapping your manifold with will, over time, make the metal brittle and crack, Also that wrapping the exhaust is a fire hazard. Is there truth in any of this and should i wrap the manifold in fibre glass wrap or not? :confused:

load of crap,heat wrap works and it works well,all manifolds including stainless or cast could crack overtime,it depends on how well the manifolds are constructed and conditions they are subjected to.

The heat wrap is designed for high tempreture and ive yet to see them set fire,most cases of heat wrap fire is due to oil contaminating the wrap and burning.

Ive built and wraped allot of systems,they all glow red hot -all- the time,they all have done many many miles and not one has failed, set fire or otherwise.

Put it this way..how many stories of heat wrap failure are out there compared to all the ones with no problems?

your choice...

^^ as above no problems with mine fitted now for over a year or from previous cars. Only heard of fire due to oil contamination as above.. you can help prevent this by sealing the wrap with high temp paint.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I did originally spray it with VHT paint but it was rubbish and has flaked like fook!!!!

How much heat wrap will i need approx for a 6 branch? Been speaking to a bloke who sells the stuff http://www.exhaustwrapshop.com he was saying he wouldnt think id would have enough with 50ft of wrap for a 6 branch. :shocked: surely 50ft of the stuff would be ok for a 6 branch with a half inch over lap?! Is he just trying to up the sale, or WILL i need more then 50ft!?

Just thought you might like to know.....

Having done extensive testing of wraps (16 in all) at work this stuff came out tops, it's 3rd best for heat barrier (but the top two were VERY expensive) but miles in front of all the others for ease of use.

Basically you get two wraps, one is the thermal barrier, and the other is a thin elasticy tape you wrap over it, both 3 inches ish wide, you simpy wrap thermal stuff on first, securing it with a bit of masking tape at the beginning end, putting on as many layers as you like (1layer =4mm) and then you cover over it in the elastic wrap, which bonds to itself when it is first heated forming a watertight skin.

This means not only can you wrap straight over flexis without fear of it coming undone, but you have no stainless zip ties to contend with either. It also proves to be a very effective way of protecting the wrap as well as it totally prevents water and dirt ingress. It's not expensive either, infact it's cheap compared to most wraps. I could not reccomend this stuff enough. :D

http://www.culimeta-saveguard.com/therm ... efault.htm

PS, the pics make it look very thick, it's not, it's just been wrapped lots of times.

I didn't order it chap as it was at work. I do know there is a £40 minimum order though, and it's only £5 (ish) for fourty feet for the wrap, and £11 for the thermolastic, I may be wrong. Best to speak to them, but I was shocked at the low cost of it compared to how well it performed.

Itll cost 25-45 for 50ft of the 'normal' heat wrap depending on where you buy it and what brand. Then there's metal ties that arent cheap and also the silicone spray.

So i will end up with 320 ft of the stuff? :lol: How much thermolastic do you get for £11? I could always use what i need and flog the rest on here - cheap. I'll give them a bell and see what they say.

Cheers Kip

Gaz

Gaz, phoned up this morning to get some for myself! I was a bit out on the lengths, but it's still cheap.

It's all 50mm wide.

The heat wrap comes in two types, foil backed and plain. The foil backed is what we used. The foil is actually 100mm wide, and the wrap is placed centrally in in so you have a 25mm strip of foil either side of the wrap.

The plain is £4.02 per 5m roll.(16ft)

The foil backed is £6.00 per 5.5m roll

The thermoplastic is £11.45 per 5m roll.

The company don't usually deal with the public but they will take card orders :-)

Strictly speaking the foil backed stuff (re-enforced foil) I think is for keeping heat out of a pipe (like air con ducts etc) but it does offer a degree of protection for the wrap inside it, just not as well as the thermoplastic.

Cheers for that.

I'm going to go with the foil backed and the thermoplastic covering. Im going to order 3 rolls of each I think, if they will sell to me. Are you saying as long as i pay by card they will deal with me?