Sign in to follow this  
Dirtysouth

Washer bit on starter motor?

Hello aint been on here for a long while hope all is well?

I have been having a few issues regarding starting lately... the other day the starter motor jammed and kept trying to start the car? as a result, the connection went red hot and started smoking (loads) i was left with a burnt wire that runs from the + battery terminal and the starter?.

I have just bought a new starter and was wondering do I need to use the washer that comes with it? hope you know which one i mean? not sure if it called a washer? its the bit that goes over the long part of the starter its almost like a cap for the end of it that goes into the engine any help much appriciated. :salute:

Many thanks.

Mooks

Eek!

Not sure about the clamp you're talking about cos I haven't had mine apart, but have you also got some new wire for the motor too? The stuff on mine is big chunky 4 gauge.

Eek!

Not sure about the clamp you're talking about cos I haven't had mine apart, but have you also got some new wire for the motor too? The stuff on mine is big chunky 4 gauge.

Yeah i got a new cable standard i think

Yeah that's it bush lol, i take it this must be used??

Hi

Check in the cavity inside the block thru the starter hole that the old bush is not still inside.

Yeah that's it bush lol, i take it this must be used??

Hi

Check in the cavity inside the block thru the starter hole that the old bush is not still inside.

Cheers dude will do, the question is though? must this be used? as i am sure last time i changed it i was adivsed otherwise?

any help much appriciated.

Evening..

If you have already fitted a new atarter to the car and changed the bush then it should be fine to leave the current one in place. They do wear but usually its over many years of use. Ie ten year lifetime of a facory starter then its time to change the bush.

As regerds the copper bush its a bearing for the motor armature. It helps support the shaft and is a perfect fit. Its also an inerferance fit...Ie it needs to be tapped in to place with a suitable impliment..You need to remove the old one as they are usually worn thin. Get a broad flat bladed screw driver jam it in and twist. It should break it free.

Don't do what I did recntley :nuts:

click herefor a read :cuckoo:

Ok thats pretty good cheers mate, the orignally must of been inside so all good went in sweet and all sorted thanks for everyones input much appriciated.!! :clap: