Sign in to follow this  
Stryker

M.O.T Failure (Brakes)

hey guys, just had my 16v put through an M.O.T this morning and it failed on 3 things

1.Offside Rear brake hose Ferrule excessively corroded

2.Parking brake efficiency below requirements

3.Offside rear brake pipe excessively corroded

Are these things known for failing with corrados? Any idea how much it will be to fix?

cheers

Don't see anything here unique to the rado.

Costs depends if you DIY or not. If you do your talking no more than £50

Don't see anything here unique to the rado.

Costs depends if you DIY or not. If you do your talking no more than £50

could be more than £50 if the parking brake (handbrake) problem is binding rear calipers.

if it's just the handbrake cables it shouldn't be much though.

If both calipers are not working (-discs corroded / not clean?) then it will most liekly be the bias / load valve seized under the car - may just need free-ing up with some WD40 and a hammer...

It's probably the calipers. Maybe worth getting them off the car and stripping them, greasing up the slider pins and the handbrake mech and trying again?

Brake lines are ALWAYS corroded on the Corrado - in fact virtually every MOT fail post I read on these forums, brake lines are in there! So nothing new and something that most garages should be able to do fairly quickly and cheaply.

if anyone needs brake lines near to Oxford, I have a complete set of them in good nick (still green painted) from the 70k Corrado I chopped up. All ABS items available too. Got the front-back lines aswell.

My mate tells me this is common amongst Rado's and indeed most other VAG's

I got the same problem with mine which is gonna need sorting beofre MOT due in July.

I only found out when I left her parked on a gentle slope outside my parents house and it rolled backwards 10 feet into the garage wall, leaving a couple of nice little dents in the spoiler and boot door :censored:

Still it was a lesson learnt the hard way so now leaving it in gear wherever I park up, whilst consoling myself over another dent that wasn't my fault.

I got the same problem with mine which is gonna need sorting beofre MOT due in July.

I only found out when I left her parked on a gentle slope outside my parents house and it rolled backwards 10 feet into the garage wall, leaving a couple of nice little dents in the spoiler and boot door :censored:

Still it was a lesson learnt the hard way so now leaving it in gear wherever I park up, whilst consoling myself over another dent that wasn't my fault.

problems like this are common with any old car to specify v.a.g. is daft the amount of corsa ferrules i fail in a year is no ones buisness

but its old cars in general corrosion is life im affraid steel came from the ground and it will eventually end up back there

Paul do you work in a testing station or something?

yes mate 20 yrs in the same garage and 10 yrs worth of testing for my sins

problems like this are common with any old car to specify v.a.g. is daft the amount of corsa ferrules i fail in a year is no ones buisness

but its old cars in general corrosion is life im affraid steel came from the ground and it will eventually end up back there

Paul how much do you rekon it would cost to get all my problems fixed?

well the flexi is not exspensive 10 pounds max , the actual steel brake pipes not costly either ,

the only real issue i see is the caliper depending if it will free and clean up or you are going to have to buy a new one which is around 50 pounds from gsf just to give you an idea it then depends on your garages rates or a mates rates

cheers paul

well the flexi is not exspensive 10 pounds max , the actual steel brake pipes not costly either ,

the only real issue i see is the caliper depending if it will free and clean up or you are going to have to buy a new one which is around 50 pounds from gsf just to give you an idea it then depends on your garages rates or a mates rates

cheers paul

Oh right well its gonna be done at a garage but they're gonna do it for me at a trade rate,

so not too exspensive then?