Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

quick fuel pump question

the car has been feeling a little sluggish low down the rev range and is pinking quite badly so took it to a friends garage for a once over, first thing we tested was the fuel pressure..it only make 3.6 bar insetad of the 4 bar that its supposed to make so we came to the conclusion it could either be the fuel filter or most likely the fuel pump..

but before i go and fork out £150 + odd quid for the fuel pump is there anything else it could be causing this low fuel pressure?

also would any fuel pump related problem like this come up on VAG COM? when we plugged it in the only error code it got was for an intermittent signal to the lambda probe, which on closer inspection is luckily just a few freyed and loose wires!

any help weclome!

thanks for looking

Firstly, I am no expert, but...

If the lambda wiring was flakey, that could well be causing you issues as the ECU uses the lambda readings to work out how much fuel to put in.

The fuel pumps usually whine when they're getting a bit tired - you can hardly hear them at all when they're new.

Fuel filters usually get overlooked when servicing the car, so if you're on the original filter that will almost certainly be causing you problems. As they're cheapest thing to replace, I'd start there.

You can use VAG-COM to see if the engine's running lean or rich by looking at the lamda values, but it won't tell you why.

couldnt ask for a better answer..cheers dude!!

i will do what i had sort of planned to do and repair the lambda, change the fuel filter and then if still no luck change the fuel pump.

ok i have fixed the lambda and there are now no fault codes on VAGCOM, have also replaced the fuel filter, and its still pinking..so should i be looking to replace the fuel pump or could it be something else??

to be honest i hadnt noticed the pinking until i had the de-cat pipe fitted :?

have put fuel in a few times since then, but have always used Shell V power, normally from the same garage..a bad batch of petrol wouldnt cause a loss in fuel pressure though would it??

Bad fuel won't cause a loss in pressure, but lower-grade fuel detonates at lower temperatures so can cause pinking if the ECU doesn't/can't adjust for it.

Bad fuel won't cause a loss in pressure, but lower-grade fuel detonates at lower temperatures so can cause pinking if the ECU doesn't/can't adjust for it.

that was my point, surely it is very unlikely to be the fuel as i have tested the fuel pressure and its lower than expected, so surely much more likely to be that causing the pinking right? would be a damn lot easier if it were the fuel though..

I'm not sure if the pump is supposed to run at a full 4-bar all the time, but I'd have thought so.

If it's whining and sounds a bit crap, then it's certainly sounding like new fuel-pump time though :(

To add to your joy, it's also worth checking the state of the 2 fuel pipes that run over the left-hand end of the rocker cover - they're prone to perishing and could also need replacing if the fuel pump's of the similar vintage. Not much fun at £35+ each :(

my 16v one whines and you can hear it at startup (when ignition gets turned on) and also at idling from drivers side.

try leaving your door open and turning the ignition on: the pump will prime up to pressure and you should be able to hear it whine then.

If it's bad, you can hear it sitting in the driver's seat while the engine's running - you'll hear a constant "wheeeeeeeeeeeeee"

The pump is just behind the driver's side rear wheel, so that's where it'll be loudest though.

had a good listen an hour ago and i can hear it prime (very quick noise compared to my old valver which was a far more prolonged noise) and i can definately hear the fuel pump but only really when im lying next to the back wheel listening for it! :?

also tried different fuel, esso and BP ultimate and more shell V power, and its still pinking so definately not the fuel!

think maybe i should just replace the fuel pump and hope for the best?? ive heard fuel pumps on VRs are renowned for going wrong?

The pump on my VR failed the other week, it had been running a bit poorly at high RPM but wasn't pinking as far as I could tell. Then it just quit totally one day, no graceful failure! Got a new one on on Friday and it's flying again :o)

Aparrently sometimes you need to replace the level sender at the same time as the pump due to a change in part since the cars were made, but the one I bought from the dealer was identical to the existing (original) one in my 1995 car, so the new sender I bought is a bit redundant! Maybe the dealer will take it back...

hth,

--

Olly

The pump on my VR failed the other week, it had been running a bit poorly at high RPM

my 16v won't pull past 5500rpm, maybe this is due to the fuel pump.... cheers Olly, you got me thinking!

Yeah the pumps in VR's just tend to work then just stop one day which is strange as G60's use the same pump and when they go they can run low pressure and melt pistons...

I wouldn't say they are renownwed for going - they just get old and wear but they will not last as long obviously if fuel has been run low / pump overheated / filter not changed reguarly etc plus the way the car is driven...

they will not last as long obviously if fuel has been run low / pump overheated / filter not changed reguarly etc plus the way the car is driven...

Good points. I hadn't thought about the pump getting hot and wearing quicker. Maybe I should put more than £10 in each time.

The pump on my VR failed the other week, it had been running a bit poorly at high RPM but wasn't pinking as far as I could tell. Then it just quit totally one day, no graceful failure! Got a new one on on Friday and it's flying again :o)

Aparrently sometimes you need to replace the level sender at the same time as the pump due to a change in part since the cars were made, but the one I bought from the dealer was identical to the existing (original) one in my 1995 car, so the new sender I bought is a bit redundant! Maybe the dealer will take it back...

hth,

--

Olly

yeah i was told the same thing re the gauge sender

whats the part number for the one you bought?

might have it off your hands as will need one for the new fuel pump anyways, that is if you want to sell it?

but where did you get this identical fuel pump from? as far as i was aware all you could get now were ones that had been superceeded with golf ones, which as you said are slightly different to the originals!

Both came from the VW dealer, they had to order them in so they weren't new-old-stock or anything.

Maybe the last cars got the new pumps? Will take a pic of the pump and sender later and stick it up here along with the part numbers of the new bits.

Yep, happy to sell you the sender - saves me having to explain myself to the parts chap at the dealer :o)

ttfn,

--

Olly

Links to pics in case they're a bit big:

http://www.funkster.org/misc/pump1.jpg

http://www.funkster.org/misc/pump2.jpg

http://www.funkster.org/misc/pump3.jpg

http://www.funkster.org/misc/sender1.jpg

http://www.funkster.org/misc/sender2.jpg

http://www.funkster.org/misc/sender3.jpg

Part numbers:

Pump: 1H0 919 651 Q "N/STK FUEL PUMP" £116+vat

Sender: 535 919 673 C "N/STK SENDER" £48.95+vat

As you can see from the pics of the sender, it's a VDO part.

hth,

--

Olly

nice one mate, yeah they were the exact parts i was told i needed..but your saying that the fuel pump (1h0919651q) didnt need the new sender??

how much would you want for it if i did need it tho?

Part numbers: Pump: ONE HOE [strike:degpxufi]919 651 Q "N/STK FUEL PUMP[/strike:degpxufi]" £116+vat

lolol!!!!!!!

ha ha.... ha..... :confused4: :cuckoo: :drinking: