Sign in to follow this  
h6 vwc

drag racing???

hello all,

i was just wondering if any people on here went to the 'run what youve brung' drag days that are held at various tracks/airfields throughout the summer??? I took my Vr6 to the 1/4 mile run day at york yesterday, and when it dried up in the afternoon and i got good traction ran some good times, the fastest being a 14.50, and all consistently under 14.84. In the wet I was managing 15.2 to 15.5. My VR6 is completely standard bar a cat-back Magnex exhaust, and it still sits on original speedlines, i ran with all my leather interior in place and removed nothing, not even the spare!! My Honda VTEC mates were dead impressed and astonished at my times!! They love the sound but had always dismissed it as too heavy and unrevvy for a 1/4 mile weapon. The thing is with more practice, a more agressive start (I was launching at 1750rpm) and a dryer day I believe 14.2/14.0 is dead achievable!

your thoughts???? thanks, atif

Very impressive for a practically standard car, i was managing 14.5 at the pod last year, more practice should see mid to low 13's hopefully for me.

Sound good times them!!

The drag strip at York, is that the one where they hold rally stages sometimes??

If it is I was shocked at the condition of it when went to watch rallying, Santa Pod is 100x better

dunno about rallying there, but the track is not the best!! ive also been to the airfield at elvington but thats a concrete not tarmac surface and isnt as sticky as youd like!

wana go santa pod but a 150 miles away plus racing, turns into a £150 day out!!

I run at york quite a bit! My best time is a 14.9 so to do a 14.5 is pretty damn good!

The track at york is good for street cars, not so good fo full on Drag cars though! Santa pod's surface is stickier and puts more stress through your drive train!

Don't knock york, it's run by volunteers, has hardly any cash and so think it does well in comparison to the mega-bucks thrown at Santa Pod etc!

Ive ran a 15.1 and a 14.9 in my g60 at santa pod. Think there was room for improvement with a bit of practice. Even though santa pod is supposed to be grippy its still hard to put power down on normal road tyres i found. Nothing to do with a lead right foot of course lol.