Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Restoring faded fabric?

Hi guys,

I've finally managed to get hold of a replacement drivers seat for my G60, really chuffed, good price and it arrived today. It's in good nick structurally and there's very little wear, but it's pretty badly faded, the whole seat is a good few shades lighter than the rest of my interior! :(

I think this is a long shot but does anyone know of any products/techniques to restore the cloth back to something closer to it's original colour?

depending upon the shade of the fabric and the pattern, you can spary it with a fabric dye, but make sure you leave it to dry thoroughly. alternatively, you can get a fabric retexturer from a dry cleaners which will darken it somewhat.

I thought about spraying it, but it's the blue/green tartan so I can't see that working too well.

I'll have a look at fabric retexturers - never heard of those before!

I thought about spraying it, but it's the blue/green tartan so I can't see that working too well.

I'll have a look at fabric retexturers - never heard of those before!

When I find a set of black with purple flecks, you can have ALL of my green and blues FOC.

Why would someone put them in a purple car! :cuckoo:

I'll hold you to that!

But get this - I've just been out on my lunch break and had a closer look at this seat, and its not faded, it's actually a different bloody colour! Same blue/green tartan but the main seat colour is a bit lighter, like a dark grey, and the back of the seat is light grey leather!

Never seen anything like it before to be honest, but the upshot is, it's no bloody use to me! :(

I thought the seats with the vinyl backing where only fitted to really early models, the later ones all have cloth backs, do you know what age car they where removed from?