Sign in to follow this  
joeshenton

Water Pipe

Hey everyone

im a new corrado owner (so easily converted!) - just got a 95 vr6 in classic green - had it a week or so to give the car a good run in and then steam starts billowing out of the bonnet-hardly mint. anyway, ive had a look and its only got a split water pipe which obviously needs replacing. trouble is i dont know which part number the pipe is and havin trouble finding it. i need to phone some places tmw to check availability but dont know how to explain exactly which part it is...

does anyone know exactly which pipe this is and perhaps the part number? is it a corrado only pipe or common to some other vw's? i want to fit the new one this weekend - any help and advice would be much appreciated.

picture is not of my car - got no digital camera so just labelled someone elses engine bay off pistonheads...

its the part with the white arrow on (obviously haha) - has 3 ends, goes into back of engine as seen and out of back engine bay too

enginebay.jpg

will praps try and get some pictures of the 'rado up when i've sorted it all out - thinkin of getting it lowered a little - any suggestions on a good kit?

cheers for helpin

Joe

Yep, that's the first one that goes, in most cases. Check the rear engine mounts for excessive movement.

I don't have the part number to hand but if you call VW (the only place you'll get one from) they *ought* to be able to find it..

It goes from the cylinder head to the heater matrix, with a t- off it to the top of the expansion tank, iirc.

A dead aux pump usually causes this...

when i looked at mine i could see traces of g12 crusty pink pie around the base of it, not sure if its working or not?

is about the only part i've not renewed

hi guys - managed to get a replacement pipe quite easily from some vw breaker's yard, hopefully its just the split pipe - dont wanna have a money pit as soon as i've bought it!

anyway, found the split in the pipe and will replace this weekend, i'll let u know how it goes ;)

all these sort of parts are getting old now. Its not a sign the car is crap or badly looked after, they just get old imo

i've had that pipe burst, the thermostat housing crack apart and the radiator burst in the last few months...

Hi again - i'm going to fit this replacement pipe this weekend - a few questions tho if anyone can help...?

1. where do i drain the water/coolant from - is there a drain point or should i just disconnect a hose on the bottom?

2. how much coolant does a vr6 take roughly (in litres)

3. what coolant do i need? i think i need G12+ or something - where can i get this, is it a dealer only coolant or will it be sold off the shelf in places like halfords?

thanks for ur help,

joe

when i did mine i didn't drain the coolant, just undid the hose, fitted new one and then ran everything with cap off to get rid of any air

i use G12+, but be careful as i'm sure your not meant to mix it with other brands of coolant