Sign in to follow this  
oxfordpaul

K&N Induction Kit - remap required

Hi all,

Just fitted an induction kit after driving another VR with one fitted and loving the noise 8)

I have a Shrick manifold and had the car remapped to get the most out of that. However now the airflow should be better I wondered whether I should get it remapped again? It feels as though there's no benefit in flooring the throttle, this makes it roar more but in terms of pick up it seems just as good with say 3/4 throttle. I also feel as though I've lost some mid range torque. Does this sound like there's too much air and not enough fuel?

Also fitted the auxilliary guauges, what should the oil pressure be at idle and then at say 80mph? Thanks.

Your probably loosing power with the open induction kit sucking in hot air. If your after more noise and a few more ponnies then I'd recomend you ditch the open filter and invest in a BMC CDA. As for the gauges, oil pressure at idle 2 bar hot, 5+ bar when cold.

from looking at graphs i've noticed that most air filters loose you torque but give you more bhp, but the bhp is only at top of your rev range

My car definatley felt more responsive (and less noisy) with the standard airbox than with the open k&n 57i it came with.

These filters (k&n cone and foam filters) suffer from sucking the hot air from around the engine, the standard airbox takes fresh air from behind the headlight.

Theres rolling road evidence on here to back this up. You'd be better off compartmentalising the filter off from the engine, or fitting a BMC CDA which is regarded as the best option for VR6s as it sucks air from the original location.

Remap for a cone filter? No way. The difference in response from the cone filter is less than the difference between cold weather and warm.

It's a fun noise, but don't expect a performance improvement..

fitting a BMC CDA which is regarded as the best option for VR6s as it sucks air from the original location.

And have the actual filter carbon-encased which leads to less heat soak from that big old lump sitting in the 'bay!