Sign in to follow this  
mr_ed

PAS problem - how bad is it?

Hello folks, I have just bought a '93 dark green VR6 (first corrado, just made the jump from a GTX rocco) Im very verry happy with it and i am trying to fix the PAS problem asap but i would like to gauge some opinion of the problem i have. When parking the car, the PAS pump whines when ever the wheel is turned, it sounds the worst when the wheel is at full lock.

When the car is stationary the wheel is almost impossible to turn (just out of interest, how easy should the wheel be to turn when the car is stationary with fully working PAS?)

I have searched and from my understanding that could be to do with the valve and could be as easy as giving it a bit of a clean or a new pump. but if i carry on using it it sounds like i could do more damage

how much of a problem do my symptoms sound?

I have searched but being new to Corrados and a Scirocco driver i know nothing about power steering!

I had a Haynes manual for my Scirocco, what are the recommended manuals for the VR6?

all help appreciated :salute:

Hello folks, I have just bought a '93 dark green VR6 (first corrado, just made the jump from a GTX rocco) Im very verry happy with it and i am trying to fix the PAS problem asap but i would like to gauge some opinion of the problem i have. When parking the car, the PAS pump whines when ever the wheel is turned, it sounds the worst when the wheel is at full lock.

yup, pas will be under more load at full lock: whining just means it's getting old I reckon. All my mk2s whined.

When the car is stationary the wheel is almost impossible to turn (just out of interest, how easy should the wheel be to turn when the car is stationary with fully working PAS?)

it shouldn't be impossible to turn. Mine is REALLY heavy (broken PAS rack) and it's not impossible to turn.

I have searched and from my understanding that could be to do with the valve and could be as easy as giving it a bit of a clean or a new pump. but if i carry on using it it sounds like i could do more damage

yeah the bearings might go eventually but if it's whining i'd say that it's already led quite a life. Not sure how much punishment the bearings / valves can take to be honest.

I had a Haynes manual for my Scirocco, what are the recommended manuals for the VR6?

Bentley is a really good one for the VR6, although it's based on the American market version so it's not word for word exactly the same. Very good for reference though. Otherwise, for engine related stuff maybe the Mk3 Golf Haynes?

all help appreciated :salute:

hth,

Jon :salute:

Well I'm pretty sure my PAS pump is dead now from pumping air and not having the hydro fluid to lubricate it, so from that POV it's kinda bad.

I can live with the rack, just keep the tyres pumped up. Just don't expect to parallel park well!

I'd recommend getting it fixed if you can, I wouldn't say it's urgent, but that's imho.

Have you checked/replaced the pas fluid? It could just be low, that would cause the noise and difficulty in turing when stationary.

Sounds to me like your PAS belt is slipping. The squealing noise which gets worse on full lock is usually the belt slipping on the pulley.

Had the exact same problem on my Golf recently, replaced the belt and now no squeal and steering is much smoother. As mentioned also check the fluid is topped up.

A slipping belt would show up as steering feeling light and then getting heavy all of a sudden, and it would be "jittery" on full lock. Had that on my mk2 also.

A slipping belt would show up as steering feeling light and then getting heavy all of a sudden, and it would be "jittery" on full lock. Had that on my mk2 also.

Mine wasn't jittery, just squealed like a bitch! If the belt is very loose you could experience heavy steering as you would not be getting full assistance (and possibly no assistance) from the pump and the belt would squeal all the time, which I think is what was reported.

just checked it and the PAS fluid is full (& green) while i was down there i fixed my lights as well (didnt have full beam) and i think i have the uprated headlight loom as there was a fuse missing on a loom that went from the battery straight to the headlights :clap:

back to the PAS...The noise i have heard does not sound like a belt slipping to me(thats not to say it isnt, im just new to the C) I have also heard it at normal speed going round tight corners if that helps narrow it down any.

my logic is now saying that now i know the fluid is ok i should try and tighten the belt and if that doesnt work replace the pump (out of 10 how hard is the pump to do?)

Does anyone have any online guides with pics ideally on how to either tighten the belt or replace the PAS pump. Im no mechanic but have spent many an hour tinkering under my old Scirocco and up for doing the job

Pics would be ideal as i am unfamiliar with PAS & the VR6 engine

thanks for your help so far chaps

If your fluid is at an ok level, then either:

1) Air could be inside - bleeding sometimes gets rid of some noise

2) Tensioner may need adjusting slightly (probably not this tho)

3) fudged pump, buy another, not that expensive

I'm not sure about how hard it is on a VR, but i've gone through 2 Pumps on my 16v, and its a simple job, just fiddly with bolt locations - but you may have more luck 8)

The pump pressure valve is a common problem on mk2 golfs or 4cyl corrados, I'd imagine the VR pump is much the same as the racks are the same, sometimes the valve can be removed and cleaned successfully other times the drilling they move in gets scored and a new pump is the only option.

Don't hold it on the stop on full lock, in fact the owners manual should tell you not to do this as it strains everything.

If the steering is very heavy when stationary then I think you've got a real problem, the PAS systems are on the heavy side but it should still be fairly easy to turn with proper full power assistance, it does sound more like a pump on it's last legs.

Wise words David.

PAS racks are designed to have fluid flowing round them. When they don't, they are at least 2-3 times as heavy as manual steering! This is because the mechanism in itself is less efficient ad probably heavier as it normally has some hydraulic assistance.

Wise words David.

PAS racks are designed to have fluid flowing round them. When they don't, they are at least 2-3 times as heavy as manual steering! This is because the mechanism in itself is less efficient ad probably heavier as it normally has some hydraulic assistance.

This would be why trying to steer modern cars with the engine off is much harder than I always remember cars being say 20 years ago when PAS was not a standard feature?

Back to the question in hand though. When I removed and refitted my PAS pump (on a 4 cyl engine), initially it made a great deal of whining sound. Rather than slipping belt, it was the opposite, too much tension on the belt. So after slackening off the belt, much better and only whinging on full lock. I would say that the bracket affair for adjusting the PAS belt is somewhat complicated to describe where to adjust, but it is a case of slackening off bolts until to get the desired effect and then retighten. I assume the VR6 pump is mounted in a similar fashion to 4 cyl engines.